This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Impact Response and Injury of the Pelvis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Multiple axial knee impacts and/or a single lateral pelvis impact were performed on a total of 19 cadavers. The impacting surface was padded with various materials to produce different force-time and load distribution characteristics. Impact load and skeletal acceleration data are presented as functions of both time and frequency in the form of mechanical impedance. Injury descriptions based on gross autopsy are given.
The kinematic response of the pelvis during and after impact is presented to indicate the similarities and differences in response of the pelvis for various load levels. While the impact response data cannot prescribe a specific tolerance level for the pelvis, they do indicate variables which must be considered and some potential problems in developing an accurate injury criterion.
CitationNusholtz, G., Alem, N., and Melvin, J., "Impact Response and Injury of the Pelvis," SAE Technical Paper 821160, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/821160.
- States, J. States, D. “The Pathology and Pathogenesis of Injuries Caused by Lateral Impact Accidents” Proceedings of the Twelfth Stapp Car Crash Conference Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1968
- Ryan, F. “Traffic Injuries of the Pelvis at St. Vincent’s Hospital, Melbourne” Medical Journal of Australia 1 27 Feb. 1971
- Knudsen, P. “Pelvis Fraktur Ved Sidekollision” Ugeskrift for Lager 143 16 13 April 1981
- Huelke, D. Lawson, T. “Lower Torso Injuries and Automobile Seatbelts” SAE Paper 760370 1976
- Huelke, D.F. O’Day, J. States, J.D. Lawson, T.E. “Lower extremity Injuries in automobile crashes.” Jan. 1980 65 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Evans, F. Lissner, H. “Studies on Pelvic Deformations and Fractures” Anatomical Record 121 No. 2 Feb. 1955
- Patrick, L. Kroell, C. Mertz, H. “Forces on the Human Body in Simulated Crashes” Proceedings of the Ninth Stapp Car Crash Conference 1965
- Melvin, J. Nusholtz, G. “Tolerance and Response of the Knee-Femur-Pelvis Complex to Axial Impacts” Motor Vehicle Manufacturer’s Association June 1980
- Ramet, M. Cesari, D. “Experimental Study of Pelvis Tolerance in Lateral Impact” International IRCOBI Conference on the Biomechanics of Trauma, 4th Proceedings Bron 1979
- Cesari, D. Ramet, M. Clair, P. “Evaluation of Pelvic Fracture Tolerance in Side Impact” Proceedings of the Twenty-Fourth Stapp Car Crash Conference, Paper No. 801306 Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1980
- Bartz, J. Butler, F. “Passenger Compartment With Six Degrees of Freedom” Auxiliary Programs to “Three Dimensional Computer Simulation of a Motor Vehicle Crash Victim” 1972
- Alem, N. et al. “Whole-Body Human Surrogate Response to Three-Point Harness Restraint” Proceedings of the Twenty-Second Stapp Car Crash Conference, Paper No. 780895 Society of Automotive Engineers. Inc. 1978
- Nusholtz, G. Melvin, J. Alem, N. “Head Impact Response Comparisons of Human Surrogates” Proceedings of the Twenty-Third Stapp Car Crash Conference, Paper No. 780895 , Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1979
- Nusholtz, G. et al. “Response of the Cervical Spine to Superior-Inferior Head Impact” Proceedings of the Twenty-Fifth Stapp Car Crash Conference, Paper No. 811005 , Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1981
- Hixson, E. “Mechanical Impedance” Shock and Vibration Handbook Harris C. M. Crede C. E. McGraw-Hill Book Co. New York 1976
- Khalil, T. Viano, D. Taber, L. “Vibrational Characteristics of the Embalmed Human Femur” General Motors Research Laboratories 29 Apr. 1980
- Melvin, J. et al. “Impact Response and Tolerance of the lower Extremities” Proceedings of the Nineteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1975