This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Dynamic Response of Multiply-Articulated Truck Combinations to Steering Input
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Certain multiply-articulated truck combinations are known to exhibit lightly damped trailer yaw motions in response to rapid inputs of steering. This paper clarifies the yaw response phenomenon and illustrates this characteristic for ten vehicle combinations which are currently in use in the U.S. The phenomenon of interest is described in terms of the “amplification” in lateral acceleration level experienced at the rear-most trailer of the combination with respect to the lateral acceleration level achieved at the truck or tractor. Results from two types of computerized simulation are presented; one representing a linear treatment of the vehicle and producing frequency response characteristics, and the other representing a rather complete nonlinear treatment of the vehicle and producing time history responses in an emergency obstacle-avoidance maneuver. The results show very large differences in the tendency of various combination vehicles to amplify lateral acceleration and thus to promote premature rollover of the rearmost trailing element.
|Technical Paper||Analysis of the Directional Response Characteristics of Double Tankers|
|Technical Paper||Computer-Based Analysis of the Dynamic Performance of Log Hauling Trucks|
CitationErvin, R. and MacAdam, C., "The Dynamic Response of Multiply-Articulated Truck Combinations to Steering Input," SAE Technical Paper 820973, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820973.
- “An Investigation of Truck Size and Weight Limits.” August 1981
- Ervin, R. D. et al. “Ad Hoc Study of Certain Safety-Related Aspects of Double-Bottom Tankers.” May 1978
- Hazemoto T. “Analysis of Lateral Stability for Doubles.” SAE Paper No. 730688 June 1973
- Hales F. D. “The Rigid Body Dynamics of Road Vehicle Trains.” The Dynamics of Vehicles on Roads and Tracks, Proceedings of IUTAM Symposium Delft August 1975
- Jindra F. “Handling Characteristics of Tractor-Trailer Combinations.” SAE Transactions 74 650720 1965
- Kynaston E. “California Truck Accident Survey.” Research report by the California Highway Patrol Sacramento, Calif. December 1981
- Mallikarjunarao, C. et al. “Analysis of the Directional Response Characteristics of Double Tankers.” SAE Paper No. 781064 December 1978
- Mallikarjunarao C. “Road Tanker Design: Its Influence on the Risk and Economic Aspects of Transporting Gasoline in Michigan.” Univ. of Michigan March 1982
- MacAdam C. “Application of an Optimal Preview Control for Simulation of Closed-Loop Automobile Driving.” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetrics 6 June 1981
- Fancher P. “The Transient Directional Response of Full Trailers.” SAE Paper presented to the 1982 Truck Meeting in Indianapolis November 1982
- Ervin, R. D. et al. “Future Configuration of Tank Vehicles Hauling Flammable Liquids in Michigan.” December 1980