This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
General Motors’ Computer Command Control-System Development
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Major technical advances have been introduced in the area of engine controls over the last several years. General Motors has applied many of these product advances including a digital microcomputer to coordinate the major control functions of the engine’s operation: fuel, spark advance, idle speed, EGR, and transmission. Motivation for these advances is based upon maximizing fuel economy and driveability for the customer while achieving effective emission control performance.
This paper will provide a description of the systems that have been introduced nationwide in 1981 and 1982 and highlight some of the production activities that were undertaken to ensure quality and reliability.
|Technical Paper||Camless Variable Valve Actuator with Two Discrete Lifts|
|Technical Paper||The Volvo 5-Cylinder Engine with 4-Valve Technology - A New Member of Volvos Modular Engine Family|
CitationGumbleton, J. and Bowler, L., "General Motors’ Computer Command Control-System Development," SAE Technical Paper 820901, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820901.
- Bowler L. L. “Throttle Body Fuel Injection (TBI) - An Integrated Engine Control System” SAE 800164 February 1980
- Bowler L. L. “Electronic Fuel Management - Fundamentals” SAE 800539 February 1980
- Canale R. P. Carlson C. R. Miles D. L. Winegarden R. P. “General Motors Phase II Catalyst System” SAE 780205 February 1978
- Currie J. H. Grossman D. S. Gumbleton J. J. “Energy Conversion with Increased Compression Ratio and Electronic Knock Control” SAE 790173 February 1979
- Doversberger K. W. “A Reliability Program for Electronic Engine Controls” SAE 800895 August 12 1980
- Fleming W. J. Howarth D. S. Eddy D. S. “Sensor for On-Vehicle Detection of Exhaust Gas Composition” SAE 730575 February 1973
- Grimm R. A. Bremer R. J. Stonestreet S. P. “G. M. Microcomputer Engine Control System” SAE 800053 February 1980
- Hegedus L. L. Gumbleton J. J. “Catalysts, Computers, and Cars: a growing symbiosis” Chemtech 10 October 1980 630 642
- Spilski R. A. Creps W. D. “Closed Loop Carburetor Emission Control System” SAE 750371 February 1975
- Walters W. L. “On-Board Diagnostics for Electronic Emission Control Systems” September 1980