This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Flow-System Comparison of the Reactivities of Calcium Superoxide and Potassium Superoxide with Carbon Dioxide and Water Vapor
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Superoxides can be used in self-contained, emergency self-rescuers, both as sources of chemically stored oxygen and as carbon dioxide scrubbers. In the work described here, a single-pass flow-system test facility was employed to evaluate the reactivity of calcium superoxide, Ca(O2)2, with respiratory gases (H2O,CO2), in concentrations simulating exhaled breath. When compared with commercial preparations of potassium superoxide, KO2, 55–60% Ca(O2)2 was found to evolve oxygen and absorb carbon dioxide at significantly lower rates under conditions where each of the superoxides was reacted with 5% CO2 streams having dew points of 37°C. Whereas O2 evolution and CO2 absorption occurred simultaneously in the case of KO2 beds, CO2 absorption lagged O2 evolution when beds of Ca(O2)2 were reacted with moisture and CO2. It is postulated that hydration of the calcium hydroxide, Ca(OH)2, and calcium peroxide, CaO2, formed as a product of the Ca(O2)2 − H2O reaction, is necessary to the reactivity of Ca(O2)2 preparations with CO2.
|Technical Paper||Development Status of the ISS Oxygen Generation Assembly and Key Components|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Sintered Carbide Tools|
|Technical Paper||High Differential Pressure, Solid Polymer Electrolysis|
CitationWood, P., Ballou, E., Spitze, L., and Wydeven, T., "A Flow-System Comparison of the Reactivities of Calcium Superoxide and Potassium Superoxide with Carbon Dioxide and Water Vapor," SAE Technical Paper 820873, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820873.
- Balou E. V. Wood P. C. Spitze L. A. Wydeven T. “The Preparation of Calcium Superoxide from Calcium Peroxide Diperoxyhydrate.” I & EC Product Research and Development 16 1977 180 186
- Ballou E. V. Wood P. C. Spitze L. A. Wydeven T. Stein R. “The Preparation of Calcium Superoxide at Subambient Temperature and Pressures.” J. Engineering for Industry 100 1978 26 30
- Wood P. C. Ballou E. V. Spitze L. A. Wydeven T. “The Preparation of Calcium Superoxide in a Flowing Gas Stream and Fluidized Bed.” ASHE Paper No. 80-ENAS-18, Tenth Intersociety Conference on Environmental System July 1980
- Vol’nov I. I. Shatunina A. N. “Reactivity of Alkali Earth Metal Superoxides in Relation to H 2 O and CO 2 .” Zh. Neorg. Khim. 2 7 1957 1474 1478
- Difford A. M. R. Spencer H. S. “Catalyst Test Reactor Types and Examples of Their Applications.” A. I.Ch.E. Symp. Series 70 143 1974 42 48
- Johnston R. S. Osgood E. D. Miller R. R. “Analysis of Mixed Oxides of Calcium.” Anal. Chem. 30 1958 511 513
- Pavlyvchenko M. M. Rubinchik Ya. S. “The Decomposition of Calcium Peroxide in Gaseous Carbon Dioxide.” Zh. Neorg. Khim. 4 1959 19 21