This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Nitroaromatics in Diesel and Gasoline Car Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A routine on-line reverse phase high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC)/HPLC fluorescence method has been developed which greatly simplifies the analysis of selected nitroaromatic compounds in complex matrices. Sensitivity of the method is generally in the low picogram to low nanogram levels. The method is based on on-column catalytic reduction of the non-fluorescent nitroaromatic compounds to the corresponding highly fluorescent amine derivatives. Compound selectivity is achieved by chromatographic separation, use of selective wavelengths for fluorescence detection and column switching techniques. The analytical system conveniently eliminates tedious sample clean-up. In most cases only about 25 micrograms of the crude sample is needed per analysis. For 1-nitropyrene, a precision of ± 3% at the one nanogram level is routinely obtained. Observed 1-nitropyrene levels typically varied from 15 to 120 ppm in the soluble organic fraction of diesel engine particulate emissions and from 4 to 90 ppm in the case of gasoline engine emissions.
- Silvestre B. Tejada - Environmental Protection Agency, Environmental Sciences Research Laboratory, Research Triangle Park, NC
- Roy B. Zweidinger - Environmental Protection Agency, Environmental Sciences Research Laboratory, Research Triangle Park, NC
- John E. Sigsby - Environmental Protection Agency, Environmental Sciences Research Laboratory, Research Triangle Park, NC
CitationTejada, S., Zweidinger, R., and Sigsby, J., "Analysis of Nitroaromatics in Diesel and Gasoline Car Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 820775, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820775.
- Huisingh J., Bradow R., Jungers R., Claxton L., Zweidinger R., Tejada S., Bumgarner J., Duffield F., Waters M., Simon V. F., Hare C., Rodriguez C., and Snow L., “Application of Bioassay to the Characterization of Diesel Particle Emissions.” in “Application of Short-Term Bioassays in the Fractionation and Analysis of Complex Environmental Mixtures,” Environmental Science Research, Vol. 15, Waters M., Nesnow S., Huisingh J., Sandhu S., and Claxton L., eds. New York: Plenum Press, 1978.
- Wang Y. Y., Rappaport S. M., Sawyer R. F., Talcott R. E., and Wei E. T., “Direct-Acting Mutagens in Automobile Exhaust.” Cancer Letters 5:39–47, 1978.
- T. C. Pederson and J. Siak, “Characterization of Direct-Acting Mutagens in Diesel Exhaust by Thin Layer Chromatography.” General Motors Research Publication GMR-3265, 1980.
- Ames B. N., McCann J., and Yamasaki e., “Methods for Detecting Carcinogens and Mutagens with Salmonella/Mammalian Microsome Mutagenicity Test.” Mutat. Res. 31:347–364, 1975.
- Zweidinger R. B., Tejada S. B., Dropkin D., Huisingh J., and Claxton L., “Characterization of Extractable Organics in Diesel Exhaust Particulates.” Paper presented at EPA Symposium of Diesel Particulate Emissions Measurement and Characterization, Ann Arbor, MI, May 1978.
- Schuetzle D., Lee F. S. C., Prater T. J., and Tejada S. B., “The Identification of Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbon Derivatives in Mutagenic Fractions of Diesel Particulate Extracts.” Intern. J. Environ. Anal. Chem. 9:93–144, 1981.
- Schuetzle D., Riley T., Prater T. J., Harvey T. M., and Hunt D., “The Identification of Nitrated Derivatives of PAH in Diesel Particulates.” Anal. Chem. 54:265, 1982.
- Lothrop G., Hefner E., Alfheim I., and Moller M., “Mutagenic Activities in Photocopies.” Science 209: 1037–1039, 1980.
- Rosenkranz H. S., McCoy E. E., Sanders D., Butler M., Kiriazides D., and Mermelstein R., “Nitropyrenes: Isolation, Identification, and Reduction of Mutagenic Impurities in Carbon Black Toners.” Science 209: 1039–1043, 1980.
- Jager J., “Detection and Characterization of Nitro-Derivatives of Some Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons by Fluorescence Quenching After Thin Layer Chromatography: Application to Air Pollution Analysis.” J. Chrom. 152: 575–578, 1978.
- Gibson T. L., Ricci A. I., and Williams R. L., “Measurement of Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbons, Their Reactivity in Diesel Automobile Exhaust.” in “Chemical and Biological Fate: Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbons,” Cooke M. and Dennis A. J., Eds. Ohio: Battelle Press, 1981.
- Xu X. B., Nachtman J. P., Rappaport S. M., Wei E. T., Lewis S., and Burlingame A. L., “Identification of 2-Nitrofluorene in Diesel Exhaust Particulate.” J. Appl. Toxicol. 1:196–198, 1981.
- Mermelstein R., Kiriazides D. K., Butler M., McCoy E. C., and Rosenkranz H. S., “The Extraordinary Mutagenicity of Nitropyrenes in Bacteria.” Mutat. Res. 89:187–196, 1981.
- Salmeen I., Durisin A. M., Prater T. J., Riley T. and Schuetzle D.. “Contribution of 1-Nitropyrene to Direct-Acting Ames Assay Mutagenesis of Diesel Particulate Extracts.” Mutat. Res. 104:17–23, 1982.
- Pederson T. C. and Siak J. S., “Dinitropyrenes: Their Probable Presence in Diesel Particle Extracts and Consequent Effect on Mutagenic Activations by NADPH-Dependent S9 Enzymes.” Paper presented at EPA Diesel Emissions Symposium, Raleigh, NC, October 5–7, 1981.
- Talcott R. E. and Harger T., “Chemical Characterization of Direct-Acting Mutagens: The Functional Group.” Mutat. Res. 91:433–436, 1981.
- Nachtman J. P., Xu X. B., Rappaport S. M., Talcott R. E., and Wei E. T., “Mutagenic Activity on Diesel Exhaust Particulates.” Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 27:463–466, 1981.
- Bradow R., Zweidinger R., Black F. and Dietzmann H., “Sampling Diesel Engine Particles and Gaseous Emissions Artifacts and Nitrogen Oxides Interaction.” Paper 8200182 presented at SAE International Congress and Exposition, Detroit, MI, February 22–26, 1982.
- Nishioka M. G., Peterson B. A., and Lewtas J., “Comparison of Nitro-PNA Content and Mutagenicity of Diesel Emissions.” Paper presented at EPA Diesel Emissions Symposium, Raleigh, NC, October 5–7, 1981.
- Lestz S. S., Herr J. D., Dukovich M., Yergey J. A., Risby T. H., and Tejada S. B., “The Role of Nitrogen in the Direct Microbial Mutagenic Activity for Diesel Engine Combustion in a Single Cylinder DI Engine.” Paper 820467 presented at SAE International Congress and Exposition, Detroit, MI, February 22–26, 1982.
- Lang J. M., Snow L., Carlson R., Black F., Zweidinger R., and Tejada S., “Characterization of Particulate Emissions from In-Use Gasoline-Fueled Motor Behicles.” Paper 811186 presented at SAE Fuels and Lubricants Meeting, Tulsa, OK, October 19–22, 1982.
- Majors R. E., “Multidimensional High Performance Liquid Chromatography.” J. Chrom. Sci. 18:571–579, 1980.
- Freeman D. H., “Review: Ultraselectivity through Column Switching and Mode Sequencing in Liquid Chromatography.” Anal. Chem. 53:25, 1981.