This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Damping Composite Sheet for Noise Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
With regard to the reduction of engine noise caused by cars, which is one of important technology in the automobile industry, vibration damping composite steel sheet has been developed. This sheet is made of a layer of visco-elastic synthetic resin sandwiched by 2 sheets of steel. The excellent vibration damping of the sheet is shown by its “loss factor” (η) ≧0.5 at 80°C and approximately 3 dB (A) noise reduction when applied to the engine cover of a portable generator, indicates that this steel sheet has application to automobile parts in which noise reduction should be considered. This paper describes the manufacturing process and some basic properties of this sheet followed by its applications.
CitationSakai, K., Fujiwara, H., and Sato, M., "Damping Composite Sheet for Noise Control," SAE Technical Paper 820752, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820752.
- Morrison, D. “A Review of Worldwide Automotive Noise Legislation.” Noise Control Vibration Insulation Nov/Dec 1978
- Kanzaki, T. Arino, T. Miura, Y. “Reduction of Diesel Engine Noise by Engine Enclosure.”
- Charzinski, H.P. Hiereth, H. “Some Aspect Concerning Noise Reduction on Diesel Passenger Car.” SAE Paper 790445
- Kerwin, E.M. “Damping of Flexural Waves by a Constrained Visco-Elastic layer.” J.A.S.A. 31 1959
- Oberst, H. “Uber Die Dampfung der Biegesshwingung Dunner Bleche durch fest Haftenda Belage.” Acustica 4 1954
- Tani, Y. Fujiwara, H. “Current Aspect of Vibration Damping Composite Steel Plates.” J.Soc. Automotive Eng. of Japan 33 1979
- Nielsen, L.E. “Mechanical Properties of Polymers.” Reinhold Publishing Corp. New York 1962
- Okino, H. “Sound Radiation Properties of Mechanically Excited Plates.” Kobe Steel Eng. Reports 30 No. 2 1980
- Yutori, Y. Nomura, S. Kokubo, I, “Press Formability of Damping Sheets.” I.D.D.R.G. 10th Binnial Congress 1 No. 10 1978
- Sasaki, T. Endo, H. “Composite for Noise and Vibration Control-High Damping Composite Steel Sheet.” Trans. ISIJ 19 1979
- Suter, R. “Wiederstandpunktschweisse mit BONDAL.” Vortragsreihe-Bondal-Symposium
- Tani, Y. Fujiwara, H. “Characteristics of DAMPLAY for High Temperature Use.” Kobe Steel Eng. Reports 29 No. 1 1979
- Sakai, K. Fujiwara, H. “Vibration-Damping Composite Steel Sheet.” The Adhesion Soc. of Japan 17 No. 9 1981