This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Theoretical Fatigue Life Prediction Using the Cumulative Damage Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Fatigue Conference
A method is presented for conservatively estimating a total fatigue life through a prediction of crack initiation life using the cumulative damage approach. The procedure is based upon the use of Neuber’s Rule, a cyclic stress-strain function, and a histogram of nominal linearly elastic equivalent strain. This provides for actual cyclic stress-strain definition and crack initation life prediction at a particular point on a cyclically loaded body. Linear finite element stress analysis plays a major role in the solution. An outline for computer-aided implementation and a case history are included.
|Technical Paper||Compression of Time Histories Used for Component Fatigue Evaluation|
|Technical Paper||Cumulative Fatigue Damage due to Spectral Loading|
|Technical Paper||Cyclic Stress-Strain Concepts Applied to Component Fatigue Life Prediction|
CitationLoverich, E., "Theoretical Fatigue Life Prediction Using the Cumulative Damage Approach," SAE Technical Paper 820692, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820692.
- Juvinall Robert G. “Engineering Considerations of Stress, Strain and Strength,” McGraw-Hill Book Co. New York 1967
- Neuber, H. “Theory of Stress Concentration for Shear Strained Prismatical Bodies with Arbitrary NonLinear Stress Strain Law,” Journal of Applied Mechanics Dec. 1961 544 550
- Topper T.H. Wetzel R.M. Morrow JoDean “Neuber’s Rule Applied to Fatigue of Notched Specimens,” Journal of Materials, JMLSA 4 (1) March 1969 200 209
- Smith, K.N. Watson, P. Topper, T.H. “A Stress-Strain Function for the Fatigue of Metals,” Journal of Materials, JMLSA 5 (4) Dec. 1970 767 778
- Morrow, J. “Fatigue Properties of Metals,” Manual, Soc. Automotive Engineering, ISTC Div 4, April 1964
- Watson, P. Topper, T.H. “Fatigue-Damage Evaluation for Mild Steel Incorporating Mean Stress and Overload Effects,” Experimental Mechanics 1970
- Tucker, K.E. Langraff, R.W. Rose, W.R. “Proposed Technical Report on Fatigue Properties for the SAE Handbook,” SAE Paper 740279
- Wetzel R.M. “Smooth Specimen Simulation of Fatigue Behavior of Notches,” Theoretical and Applied Mechanics University of Illinois May 1967
- Socie D.F. Mitchell M.R. Caulfield E.M. “Fundamentals of Modern Fatigue Analysis,” A Report of the Fracture Control Program College of Engineering, University of Illinois April 1977
- Sines G. Waisman J.L. “Metal Fatigue,” Notch-Sensitivity Peterson R.E. McGraw-Hill Book Co. New York 1959
- Birchmeier, J.E. Smith, K.V. “Optimization of a Light Truck Rough Road Durability Procedure Using Fatigue Analysis Methodology,” SAE Paper 820693
- Dowling N.E. “Fatigue Failure Prediction for Complicated Stress-Strain Histories,” ASTM Journal of Materials March 1972