This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Monotonic and Fatigue Characterizations of Metals
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Fatigue Conference
Monotonic and cyclic properties for metals are reviewed. Conventional stress based fatigue characterizations of S-N curves and mean stress plots are illustrated. Strain based mechanical hysteresis concepts are used to express cyclic stress-strain properties, and fatigue properties when combined with fatigue life data. These properties are useful for a computer based materials data file for engineering applications.
Cyclic deformation behavior for cyclic creep and stress relaxation is illustrated.
A fatigue notch characterization is given based upon Neuber’s Rule.
|Technical Paper||Proposed Technical Report on Fatigue Properties for the SAE Handbook|
|Technical Paper||Empirical Formula for Fatigue Strength of Singlle-Spot-Welded Joint Specimens under Tensile-Shear Repeated Load|
CitationLaPointe, N., "Monotonic and Fatigue Characterizations of Metals," SAE Technical Paper 820679, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820679.
SAE 1982 Transactions
Number: V91-A; Published: 1983-08-01
Number: V91-A; Published: 1983-08-01
- Tucker, L. E. Landgraf, R. W. Brose, W. R. “Proposed Technical Report on Fatigue Properties for the SAE Handbook” Paper 740279 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, Mi. February 1974
- Raske D. T. Morrow, J. “Mechanics of Materials in Low Cycle Fatigue Testing” Manual on Low Cycle Fatigue Testing, ASTM STP 465 American Society for Testing and Mateirals 1969 1 25
- Dieter G. E. “Mechanical Metallurgy” McGraw-Hill Book Co., Inc. 1961 New York, N.Y. 237 254
- Bridgman, P. W. “The Stress Distribution at the Neck of a Tensile Specimen” Transactions of American Society for Metals XXXII 1944 553 573
- Dieter “Mechanical Metallurgy” 240
- Aronofsky, J. “Evaluation of Stress Distribution in the Symmetrical Neck of Flat Tensile Bars” Journal of Applied Mechanics March 1951 75 84
- Dieter “Mechanical Metallurgy” 253
- Wetzel R. M. Fatigue Under Complex Loading SAE Advances in Engineering 6 1977
- “A Guide for Fatigue Testing and the Statistical Analysis of Fatigue Data” American Society of Testing and Materials 1963 2 4
- Esin, A. “A method of correlating different types of fatigue curves” International Journal of Fatigue 2 4 Oct. 1980 153 158
- Brose, W. R. Dowling, N. E. Morrow, J. “Effect of Periodic Large Strain Cycles on the Fatigue Behavior of Steels” Paper 740221 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, Mi. February 1974
- Grover, H. J. “Fatigue of Aircraft Structures” Naval Air systems Command Department of the Navy, NAVAIR 01-1A-13 1966 38 41
- Smith J. O. “The Effect of Range of Stress on the Fatigue Strength of Metals” University of Illinois, Engineering Experiment Station
- Morrow Jo Dean “Fatigue Properties of Metals” Paper presented at a meeting of Division 4 of the SAE Iron and Steel Technical Committee Nov. 1964
- Graham J. A. “Fatigue Properties of Metals” Fatigue Design Handbook, SAE Advances in Engineering 4 1968 21 30
- Landgraf, R. W. “The Resistance of Metals to Cyclic Deformation” Achievement of High Fatigue Resistance in Metals and Alloys, ASTM STP 467 American Society for Testing and Materials 1970 3 36
- Sherman A. M. Landgraf, R. W. “Computer aids metals selection for fatigue environments” Materials Engineering Sept. 1975 71
- Landgraf R. W. Morrow JoDean Endo T. “Determination of the Cyclic Stress-Strain Curve” Journal of Materials, JMLSA 4 No. 1 March 1969 176 188
- Constant-Amplitude Low-Cycle Fatigue Testings Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Part 10 694 703
- Neuber, H. “Theory of Stress Concentration for Shear Strained Prismatical Bodies with Arbitrary Non Linear Stress Strain Law” Journal of Applied Mechanics Dec. 1961 544 550
- Wetzel, R. M. “Smooth Specimen Simulation of the Fatigue Behavior of Notches” Jouranl of Materials 3 No. 3 Sept. 1968 646 657
- Topper T. H. Wetzel R. M. Morrow JoDean “Neuber’s Rule Aplied to Fatigue of Notched Specimens” Journal of Materials, JHSLA 4 No. 1 March 1969 200 209
- Peterson R. E. “Stress Concentration Design Factors” John Wiley and Sons, Inc. New York 1953 10
- Landgraf R. W. “Effect of Mean Stress on the Fatigue Behavior of a Hard Steel” Department of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, University of Illinois Jan. 1961