This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Overview of Design Approaches for Optimizing Fatigue Performance of Suspension Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Fatigue Conference
This paper provides an overview of some design processes emphasizing fatigue considerations for suspension system components. Two-suspension components used on the new Ford Ranger Pickup truck have been selected as illustrations. Emphasis is placed on the use of non-linear, dynamic modeling as a tool for designing vehicles to exceed customer fatigue requirements.
THIS PAPER is intended to preceed a series of specialized papers on specific aspects of fatigue as a part of the SAE Fatigue Conference April, 1982. It is intended to discuss some analytical tools available to the engineer and some specific examples of how components of a suspension system may be engineered to survive in normal service environments and to meet customer expectations.
|Technical Paper||Experiments and CAE Analyses for Suspension under Durability Road Load Conditions|
|Technical Paper||Structural MBD Tire Models: Closing the Gap to Structural Analysis - History and Future of Parameter Identification|
CitationBickerstaff, D., Birchmeier, J., and Tighe, W., "Overview of Design Approaches for Optimizing Fatigue Performance of Suspension Systems," SAE Technical Paper 820676, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820676.
- Little, J. R. “1983 Ranger Pickup,” SAE paper 11270, Truck Meeting November 9–12 1981
- Beamgard, R. S. Snodgrass, K. P. Stornant, R. F. “A Field Performance Prediction Technique for Light Truck Structural Components,” SAE paper 791034 , Truck Meeting November 5–8 1979
- Smith, K. V. Stornant, R. F. “Cumulative Damage Approach to Damageability Route Design,” SAE paper 791033 , Truck Meeting November 5–8 1979
- Landgraf, R. W. “Fundamentals of Fatigue Analysis,” In these proceedings, SAE Fatigue Conference April 14–16 1982
- Perry C. C. Lessner H. R. “The Straingage Primer,” McGraw-Hill 1962
- Jessop H. T. Harris, F. C. “Photoelasticity — Principles and Methods,” Dover Publications 1949
- “Principles of Stresscoat — Brittle Coating Stress Analysis Manual,” Magnaflux Corporation 1971
- “Manual on Design and Application of Helical and Spiral Springs,”