This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Engineering Plastics Components in Construction Equipment
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Engineering plastics, which offer multiple high performance properties for heavy duty components are explained by molecular structure of high polymers.
Technological behavior, which is unique to polymers, including friction, wear, fatigue resistance, contact pressure reduction, temperature and time dependency elucidate their functions as machine parts.
Design criteria and fabrication characteristics of plastic parts are illustrated and exemplified as wear pads, seal rings, bearing bushings, sheaves, tubing, hydraulic hoses and functional coatings presently used in construction industries.
CitationChen, J. and Alberts, R., "Engineering Plastics Components in Construction Equipment," SAE Technical Paper 820641, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820641.
- O’Driscoll, K. F. “The Nature and Chemistry of High Polymers” Rheinhold New York 1964
- Billmeyer F. W. Jr. “Textbook of Polymer Science, Second Edition” Wiley-Interscience New York 1971
- Frados, J. “Plastics Engineering Handbook”, 4. Edition, Society of the Plastics Industry” Van Nostrand Reinhold New York 1976
- McQuiston, H. “Designing with Engineering Plastics” Plastics Engineering June 1980 p. 18 25
- Chen, J. H. Gage P. E. Carswell, D. D. “Designing Heavy Duty Nylon Slide Bearings” Proceeding National Conference on Power Transmission VII IIT Chicago 1980 p. 113 121
- Chen, J. H. Juarbe, F. M. Hanley, M. A. “Factors Affecting Fatigue Strength of Nylon Gears”, presented at Century 2 International Power Transmission and Gear Conference, San Francisco, CA, August 1980” ASME Paper No. 80-C2-DET-104, also Journal of Mechanical Design 103 April 1981 p. 543 548
- Chen J. H. Juarge, F. M. “Tests of MoS2 Filled Nylon Gears Provide Design Data” Power Transmission Design August 1978 p. 33 36
- Chen J. H. Ursell, C. R. “Comparison of Wire Rope Life Using Nylon and Steel Sheaves, Part 1, Test Methodology and Comparison of Wire Rope Endurance Life” SAE Technical Paper 790904
- Chen J. H. Gage, P. E. “Comparison of Wire Rope Life Using Nylon and Steel Sheaves, Part II, New Concept to Improve Predictability of Wire Rope Remaining Strength After Cycling” SAE Technical Paper 790905
- Chen J. H. Gage, P. E. “Improved Wire Rope Endurance Life With Nylon Sheaves” OTC Paper No. 4001 1981 p. 443 452
- Timoshenko, S. “Strength of Materials, Part II - Advanced Theory and Problems” Van Nostrand Princeton Third Edition 1956
- Kohan M. I. “Nylon Plastics” Wiley Inter-Science New York 1973 327
- The Polymer Corporation “Plastics Fabrication Manual”
- Pettigrew, C. K. “Plastic Coatings - A Unique Concept in Mechanical Design” ASME Publication 5
- Kayser J. A. Groves, W. T. “A New Concept in Drive Line Slip Splines” SAE Paper 680118 8