This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improved Chromic Acid Anodize Seal for Optimum Paint Adhesion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new anodize sealing process using a dilute solution of chromic acid and metal chromates in deionized water has been developed. Use of this process to seal chromic acid anodize layers gives films that have excellent paint adhesion while maintaining specification requirements for salt-spray corrosion resistance. The extent of hydration is easier to control than with conventional sealing methods and does not require monitoring. Extensive laboratory testing has defined optimum operating parameters. Examination of sealed films using scanning/transmission electron microscopy has elucidated the anodize film structures controlling paint adhesion and corrosion resistance.
|Technical Paper||An Alternative to Chromic Acid Anodizing|
|Technical Paper||Boric/Sulfuric Acid Anodize-Alternative to Chromic Acid Anodize|
|Technical Paper||Optimisation of Process Parameters of EDM on Al6082/SiC Metal Matrix Composite|
CitationMoji, Y., "Improved Chromic Acid Anodize Seal for Optimum Paint Adhesion," SAE Technical Paper 820603, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820603.
- Brockmann W. “The Nature of Adhesion Mechanisms and the Influence of Surface Treatments on the Behaviour of Bonded Joints.” Bonded Joints and Preparation for Bonding Oct. 1979
- Pourbaix, M. “Atlas of Electrochemical Equilibria in Aqueous Solution.” National Association of Corrosion Engineers 1974
- Wernick S. Pinner R. “Surface Treatment and Finishing of Aluminum and Its Alloys.” 2 Robert Draper Ltd. Teddington 1972
- Spooner R. C. Metal Finishing Dec. 1968 44 53 Jan. 1969
- Siedenburg, H. E. “Automated Control of Chromic Acid Anodizing.” Oct. 1978
- “Anodic Coatings for Aluminum and Aluminum Alloys.” Jan. 1968
- Ginsberg H. Wefers, F. Metall 16 3 173 175
- Rogers N. L. “Bondable Coating on Aluminum and Method of Applying It.” Bell Aerospace Corp. Dec. 1968
- Venables J. D. McNamara D. K. Chen J. M. Ditchek B. M. Morgenthaler T. I. Sun T. S. Hopping R. L. “Effect of Moisture on Adhesively Bonded Aluminum Structures.” 12th National SAMPE Technical Conference Oct. 1980