This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Two-Dimensional Computations of Engine Combustion: Comparisons of Measurements and Predictions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Measurements of pressure, flame arrival and wall temperature were taken in one cylinder of a four-cylinder production engine. Changed in the experiment were engine speed, load, spark advance, and air-to-fuel ratio for a total of 190 conditions. Then nine cases were selected differing in speed, load, spark advance, and air-to-fuel ratio and their combustion computed with a two-dimensional planar model based on a k-ɛ turbulence sub-model, one overall irreversible reaction for the oxidation of the fuel and the law-of-the-wall and Reynolds analogy for wall heat transfer. The same model constants were used in all computations. Computed and measured pressures and flame arrivals were compared and the agreement was judged adequate even though the computed expansion-stroke pressure was somewhat above the measured one in some cases probably due to an underestimate of wall heat losses. The tested model was then used to predict the effect of compression ratio and of a change in chamber geometry on indicated efficiency at 3500 rpm, full load, and stoichiometric mixture.
CitationBasso, A. and Rinolfi, R., "Two-Dimensional Computations of Engine Combustion: Comparisons of Measurements and Predictions," SAE Technical Paper 820519, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820519.
- Rinolfi, R. “Engine Control System with Ultrasonic Mass Air Flow Meter” SAE paper 770855 1977
- Lancaster, D.R. Krieger, R.B. Lienesch, J.H. “Measurement and Analysis of Engine Pressure Data” SAE Transactions paper 750026 1975
- Eyzat P. Guibet, L.C. “A New Look at Nitrogen Oxides Formation in Internal Combustion Engines” SAE paper 680124 1968
- Gupta H.C. Syed S.A. “REC P3. A Computer Program of Combustion in Reciprocating Engines” Princeton University 1979
- Syed S.A. Bracco, F.V. “Further Comparisons of Computed and Measured Divided-Chamber Engine Combustion” SAE paper 790247 1979
- Grasso F. Bracco F.V. “Evaluation of a Mixing-Controlled Model for Engine Combustion” 10th DISC Meeting September 1979
- Grasso F. Bracco F.V. “Sensitivity of TDC Turbulence to Intake Flows in Axi-symmetric Internal Combustion Engines” 12th DISC Meeting October 1980
- Annand, W.J.D. “Heat Transfer in the Cylinders of Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engines” Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs. 1977 973 990 1963
- Bracco, F.V. “Scaling of Some Flow Fields with Flames”, in” Combustion Modeling in Reciprocating Engines Mattavi J.N. Amann C.A. Plenum Publishing Co. 1980
- Boni, A.A. Chapman, M. Cook J.L. Schneyer, G.P. “Computer Simulation of Combustion in a Stratified Charge Engine” Sixteenth Symposium (International) on Combustion, The Combustion Institute 1527 1541 1976