This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Controlling Engine Load by Means of Early Intake-Valve Closing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Early closing of the intake valve was examined as a means for controlling the load of a homogeneous-charge, spark-ignition engine. The engine was operated unthrottled, with load controlled by closing the intake valve during the intake stroke of the engine after the required amount of charge had been inducted into the cylinder. The concept was examined both experimentally, using intake cams giving reduced intake-valve lift and opening duration, and analytically, using an engine simulation.
Comparisons to a conventional throttled engine operating at part load show the early intake-valve-closing engine to have lower pumping loss, lower specific fuel consumption, lower cylinder-gas temperatures, lower heat transfer, lower NOx emissions, similar combustion duration and cyclic variability, and somewhat higher HC emissions. However, the fuel economy benefit offered by this load-control concept would be diminished by the frictional losses of a control mechanism and by the current trends toward lower vehicular power/weight ratios and broader-range transmissions.
|Technical Paper||Controlling Engine Load by Means of Late Intake-Valve Closing|
|Technical Paper||A Hydraulic Valve Control System and its Application to Turbocharged Diesel Engines|
CitationTuttle, J., "Controlling Engine Load by Means of Early Intake-Valve Closing," SAE Technical Paper 820408, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820408.
- Anon 42 Federal Register 32906 1977
- Bates, B. Dosdall, J. M. Smith, D. H. “Variable Displacement by Engine Valve Control,” SAE Paper 780145 1978
- Bechtold, R. L. “An Investigative Study of Engine Limiting,” U. S. Department of Energy Publication BERC/RI-77/13 1978
- Givens, L. “Cadillac Introduces V-8-6-4 Engine,” Auto. Eng. 88 52 54 1980
- Pouliot, H. M. Delameter, W. R. Robinson, C. W. “A Variable Displacement Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Paper 770114 1977
- Siegla D. C. Siewert, R. M. “The Variable Stroke Engine - Its Problems and Promises,” SAE Paper 780700 1978
- Tuttle, J. H. “Controlling Engine Load by Means of Late Intake-Valve Closing,” SAE Paper 800794 1980
- Sherman R. H. Blumberg, P. N. “The Influence of Induction and Exhaust Processes on Emissions and Fuel Consumption in the Spark Ignited Engine,” SAE Paper 770880 1977
- Krieger R. B. Borman, G. L. “The Computation of Apparent Heat Release for Internal Combustion Engines,” ASME Paper 66-WA/DGP-4 1966
- Woschni, G. “A Universally Applicable Equation for the instantaneous Heat Transfer Coefficient in the Internal Combustion Engine,” SAE Trans 76 3065 3083 1967
- Amano, M. Nakada, M. Kobayahi, N. “An Approach to Evaluate Vehicle Driveabtlity through Engine Dynamometer Testing,” paper presented at the Third International Symposium on Automation of Engine and Emission Testing 1974
- Nagayama, I. Araki, Y. loka, Y. “Effects of Swirl and Squish on S. I. Engine Combustion and Emission,” SAE Paper 770217 1977
- Tuttle J. H. Toepel, R. R. “Increased Burning Rates Offer Improved Fuel Economy-NOx Emissions Tradeoffs in Spark-ignition Engines,” SAE Trans 88 1400 1412 1979
- Young, M. B. “Cyclic Dispersion in the Homogeneous-Charge, Spark-Ignition Engine A Literature Survey,” SAE Paper 810020 1981
- Stivender, D. L. “Intake Valve Throttling (IVT) - A Sonic Throttling Intake Valve Engine,” SAE Trans 77 1293 1303 1968