This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Determination of Local H/C Ratio and Hydrogen-Particulate
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An intermittent sampling valve was used to investigate local fuel H/C ratio and species concentrations in an operating DI diesel engine. Additionally, predictions of carbon and hydrogen originating from particulates and nonmethane hydrocarbons (carbon and hydrogen remainders) were made by calculation. Sample H/C ratio was used to assess local fuel phase as gaseous or liquid.
Evidence of intermediate species quenching in the lean region between spray plumes was found under low swirl. Reduction in the rate of penetration under high swirl may account for the observed loss in efficiency under this condition.
CitationLogan, M., Gudgeon, J., Uyehara, O., and Myers, P., "Experimental Determination of Local H/C Ratio and Hydrogen-Particulate," SAE Technical Paper 820362, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820362.
- Brooks D. B. “Chemistry of Internal-Combustion Engines.” MS Thesis Ohio State University May 1922
- Drinkwater L. W. Egerton A. E. “The Combustion Process in the Compression Ignition Engine.” Proc Instn Mech Engrs 138 1938
- Kau C. J. Tyson T. J. Heap M. P. “The Prediction of Pollutant Formation in Diesel Engines.” Final Report--Phases II and III Ultrasystems, Inc.
- Carver G. P. Heap M. P. McComis C. Tyson T. J. “Investigation of Diesel Combustion by Direct In-Cylinder Sampling.” SAE Paper 750850 1975
- Nightingale D. R. “A Fundamental Investigation into the Problem of NO x Formation in Diesel Engines.” SAE Paper 750848 1975
- Bennethum J. E. Toepel R. R. Mattavi J. N. “Combustion Chamber Sampling-Hardware Procedures and Data Interpretation.” SAE Paper 750849 1975
- Rhee K. T. Myers P. S. Uyehara O. A. “Time and Space Resolved Species Determination in Diesel Combustion Using Continuous Flow Gas Sampling.” SAE Paper 780226 1978
- Duggal V. Priede T. Khan I. “A Study of Pollutant Formation Within the Combustion Space of a Diesel Engine.” SAE Paper 780227 1978
- Khan I. M. Greeves G. Wang C. H. “Factors Affecting Smoke and Gaseous Emissions from Direct Injection Engines and Method of Calculation.” SAE Paper 730169 1973
- Aoyagi Y. Kamimoto T. Matsui Y. Matsuoka S. “A Gas Sampling Study on the Formation Processes of Soot and NO in a DI Diesel Engine.” SAE Paper 800254 1980
- Whitehouse N. Clough E. Uhnmwangho S. “The Development of Some Gaseous Products During Diesel Engine Combustion.” SAE Paper 800028 1980
- Miwa K. Ikegami M. Nakano R. “Combustion and Pollutant Formation in an Indirect Injection Diesel Engine.” SAE Paper 800026 1980
- Flynn P. Mizusawa M. Uyehara O. A. Myers P. S. “An Experimental Determination of the Instantaneous Potential Radiant Heat Transfer within an Operating Diesel Engine.” SAE Paper 720022 1972
- Amann C. A. Stivender D. L. Plee S. L. McDonald J. S. “Some Rudiments of Diesel Particulate Emissions.” SAE Publication P-86:177
- Borman G. L. “The Mathematical Simulation of Internal Combustion Engine Processes and Performance Including Comparison with Experiment.” Ph.D. Thesis University of Wisconsin 1964
- Krieger R. B. Borman G. L. “The Computation of Apparent Heat Release for Internal Combustion Engines.” ASME Publication, 66-WA/DGP-4 1966
- Shipinski J. H. “Relations Between Rates-of-Injection and Rates-of-Heat Release in Diesel Engines.” Ph.D. Thesis University of Wisconsin 1967
- Voiculescu I. “An Experimental Determination of the History of Formation of Cylinder Averaged Oxides of Nitrogen in Diesel Combustion.” Ph.D. Thesis University of Wisconsin Madison 1977
- Thien D. “A Further Study of the Dumping Technique as Applied to a Single-Cylinder Diesel Engine.” MS Thesis University of Wisconsin Madison 1977
- Chan T. Borman G. L. “An Experimental Study of Swirl and EGR Effects on Diesel Combustion by Use of the Dumping Method.” Paper Submitted to SAE for Publication at SAE Congress 1982
- Johnson P. “In-Cylinder Species Concentration Measurements with the University of Wisconsin Continuous Flow Sampling Valve and the General Motors Research Laboratories Sampling Valve.” MS Thesis University of Wisconsin 1978
- Turns S. R. Borman G. L. “An Estimation of Quenching - Gas Bias in Internal Combustion Engine In-Cylinder Sampling.” Combustion and Flame 39 97 109 1980
- Turns S. R. Borman G. L. “Internal Combustion Engine Sampling Probes: An Experimental Study of Sample Gas Origins and Flow Disturbances.” Combustion and Flame 38 313 327 1980
- Ingham M. C. “In-Cylinder Sampling of Hydrocarbons with Texaco L-141 TCP Stratified Charge Engine.” Ph.D. Thesis University of Wisconsin 1981
- Gudgeon J. “Estimating Equivalence Ratios, Carbon, and Unburned Fuel Using Species Measurements of Gases Sampled from a Diesel Combustion Chamber.” MS Thesis University of Wisconsin Madison 1980
- Logan M. R. “Local Fuel H/C Ratio and Carbon Remainder in Diesel Combustion.” MS Thesis University of Wisconsin 1981
- Otto K. Sieg M. Zinbo M. Bartosiewicz L. “The Oxidation of Soot Deposits from Diesel Engines.” SAE Paper 800336 1980
- Snedecor G. Cochran W. “Statistical Methods.” 7th Ed. Iowa State University Press 1980