This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Simulator Motion on Driver Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effects of physical motion and vehicle responsiveness on driver performance were investigated with a moving-base driving simulator. Twenty-four subjects were divided into four motion conditions ranging from no motion to roll plus yaw plus attenuated lateral translation. Each motion group drove the simulated vehicle with three levels of tire cornering stiffness. The presence of motion reduced driver control activity and path keeping deviations, but the effects of changing vehicle responsiveness were not disguised by reducing the number of motion cues. The results suggest, however, that motion cues become more important as driving maneuvers become more extreme.
CitationRepa, B., Leucht, P., and Wierwille, W., "The Effect of Simulator Motion on Driver Performance," SAE Technical Paper 820307, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820307.
- McLane R. C. Wierwille W. W. “The Influence of Motion and Audio Cues on Driver Performance in an Automobile Simulator,” Human Factors 17 5 1975
- Repa B. S. Alexandridis A. A. Howell L. J. Wierwille W. W. “The Influence of Vehicle Control Dynamics on Driver-Vehicle Performance,” Proc. 5th VSD - 2nd IUTAM Symposium on the Dynamics of Vehicles on Roads and Tracks, Vienna 320 333 Swets Zeitlinger, Amsterdam 1977
- Rolf J. M. “Keeping Up On the Ground,” Aeronautical Journal July 1977
- Staples K. F. “Current Problems of Flight Simulators for Research,” Aeronautical Journal January 1978
- Gundry J. “The Effectiveness of Sophistication of Motion Cues Provided in Flight Simulators,” Human Operators and Simulation The Chameleon Press, Ltd. London 1977
- Wierwille W. W. “Driving Simulator Design for Realistic Handling,” Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Vehicle System Dynamics Swets and Zeitlinger, B. V. Amsterdam 1975
- Repa B. S. Wierwille W. W. “Driver Performance in Controlling a Driving Simulator with Varying Vehicle Response Characteristics,” SAE Transactions 85 2453 2468 1976
- Perry D. H. Naish J. M. “Flight Simulation for Research,” The Journal of the Royal Aeronautical Society October 1964