This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Weld Associated Localized Necking in Various Steels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The joining of metals by welding results in unavoidable heating of adjacent material causing the formation of a weld heat affected zone (HAZ). Deformation of the weld zone as during automotive wheel rim fabrication is reported to develop a non-uniform strain distribution in the weld HAZ of high strength steels. This can lead to the formation of a localized neck in the HAZ and hence, a higher production scrap rate in these steels compared to plain carbon steel.
This report examines the mechanical property changes that occur in the weld HAZ of three commercial high strength steels and a plain carbon steel. These mechanical property changes are explained in terms of the phase transformations that occur on heating the steels during welding, and the explanations provide insight into potential solutions for reducing the tendency for post-weld, deformation-induced necking during automotive rim fabrication.
CitationRashid, M. and Rathke, A., "Weld Associated Localized Necking in Various Steels," SAE Technical Paper 820282, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820282.
- Rashid M. S. Lawrence G. D. “Wheel Weight Reduction with GM 980X Steel,” SAE Trans., Paper 780138 87 552 60 1978
- Lumm J. A. Hughes G. M. Bastian B. J. “Applications of High Strength Steels to Manufacturing,” SAE Trans., Paper 740179 83 777 86 1974
- Drewes E. J. “Experience with the Production and Application of As-Received Dual Phase Steel,” Alloys for the Eighties Climax Molybdenum Co. 1980 59 67
- Rashid M. S. Rathke A. E. “Weld Associated Localized Necking During Dual Phase Steel Wheel Rim Fabrication,” SAE Preprint 810026 , Presented at the SAE Annual Meeting Detroit, Michigan Feb. 1981
- Rashid M. S. “GM 980X: Potential Applications and Review,” SAE Trans., Paper 770211 86 2 835 46 1977
- Rao B.V.N. Sachdev A. K. “Influence of Cooling Rate on the Microstructure of Intercritically Annealed Van 80 and the Origin of Superior Properties in GM 980X,” GM Research Publication GMR-3564 Feb. 1981
- Rashid M. S. “Dual Phase Steels,” Annual Rev. in Materials Science 11 1981 246 66
- Rashid M. S. “High Strength Low Alloy Steels,” Science 208 862 1980
- Rashid M. S. Rao B.V.N. “Tempering Characteristics of a Vanadium Containing Dual Phase Steel,” GM Research Publication GMR-3576 Feb. 81