This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparative EPA Fuel Economy Tests of EVs versus ICE Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Results of road and dynamometer tests to compare the energy consumption of a battery powered electric vehicle and a similar ICE vehicle are reported. Test cycles included the SAE J227aC, EPA, FTP and HFET, the Southern California Edison 3 stop/mile, and a freeway route. Disagreements in the results of dynamometer and road tests, and fuel economy differences due to dynamometer calibration method, are noted. Differences in the relative fuel economy of the electric and ICE vehicle as large as 25% are shown by using different test procedures and computational methods. Recommendations for developing a new test procedure are presented which could increase the equivalent fuel economy for EVs and use the standard EPA driving cycles for both types of vehicles.
CitationArias, J., Carlson, R., and Ulbrich, E., "Comparative EPA Fuel Economy Tests of EVs versus ICE Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 820271, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820271.
- “Electric and Hybrid Vehicle Research, Development, and Demonstration Program: Equivalent Petroleum-Based Fuel Economy Calculation,” Final Rule on 10 CFR Part 474, (Docket No. CAS-RM-80-202) June 1981
- “A Comparison of Fuel Economy Results from EPA Tests and Actual In-Use Experience, 1974-1977 Model Year Cars,” U.S. Dept. of Energy, Office of Conservation and Advanced Energy Systems Policy (Contract No. EC-76-C-01-8435) February 1978
- “EPRI-SCE Testing & Evaluation of Electric Vehicles: Lucas Van and Jet 007, 750, and 1400,” Electric Power Research Institute, by R. K. McCluskey, Southern California Edison Company, and J. L. Arias, Arias Research Associates, Inc., EPRI Report Number EM-1723 February 1981
- “Electric Vehicle Test Procedures at JPL,” Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Informal Document February 1981
- “The SCE Road Test & Evaluation Program for Electric Vehicles,” R. K. McCluskey, Southern California Edison Company, and J. L. Arias, Arias Research Associates, Inc., 80-RD-129 November 1980
- “Performance Analysis of Electric Vehicles in City Services and Commuting,” Womack Baxter W. University of Texas EVC Paper No. 8108 October 1981
- “Standardization of the J227a Driving Schedule at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory,” Informal Document February 1981