This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Air Flow through Poppet Inlet Valves - Analysis of Static and Dynamic Flow Coefficients
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to investigate the air flow characteristics through poppet inlet valves, the static and dynamic flow coefficients were measured by varying through wide limits the angle-areas and the opening periods of the valves.
As a result, it was found that when the angle-area was fixed, a valve having a lower maximum valve lift always showed better flow characteristics under both static and dynamic conditions. Also, a parameter which satisfactorily correlated the static and dynamic flow coefficients was found.
|Technical Paper||Design Refinement of Induction and Exhaust Systems Using Steady-State Flow Bench Techniques|
|Technical Paper||An Analysis of the Volumetric Efficiency Characteristics of 4-Stroke Cycle Engines Using the Mean Inlet Mach Number Mim|
CitationFukutani, I. and Watanabe, E., "Air Flow through Poppet Inlet Valves - Analysis of Static and Dynamic Flow Coefficients," SAE Technical Paper 820154, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820154.
- Fukutani I. Watanabe, E. “An Analysis of the Volumetric Efficiency Characteristics of 4-Stroke Cycle Engines Using the Mean Inlet Mach Number Mim.” SAE Paper No. 790484 , presented at SAE Congress, Detroit, February 1979, SAE Transactions 88 1979 1756
- Komotori K. Watanabe, E. “A Study of the Delivery Ratio Characteristics of Crankcase-Scavenged Two-Stroke Cycle Engines.” SAE Paper No. 690136 , presented at SAE Congress, Detroit, January 1969, SAE Transactions 78 1969 608 See also, Transactions Japan Soc. Mech. Engrs., Vol.36 (1970), No.285, p.826.
- Woods W.A. Khan, S.R. “An Experimental Study of Flow through Poppet Valves.” PIME 180 1965-66 32
- Shapiro, A.H. “The Dynamics and Thermodynamics of Compressible Fluid Flow.” 1 100 Ronald Press 1953
- Ramamoorthy M.V. Seetharamaiah, K. “Quadrant-Edge Orifice-Modification for Better Performance.” La Houille Blanche 1966 313
- Deckker, B.E.L. “Compressible Flow through Square Edge Rectangular Orifices.” PIME 192 1978 26 277
- Kastner, L.J. Williams T.J. White, J.B. “Poppet Inlet Valve Characteristics and their Influence on the Induction Process.” PIME 178 1963 36 955
- Tanaka, K. “Air Flow through Suction Valve of Conical Seat.” Rep. Aero. Inst. Tokyo Imp. Univ., Nos. 19 22 27 1927 ). See also, Ref. 9, p. 47.
- List, H. “Der Ladungswechsel der Verbrennungskraftmachine.” 4 1952 3 52
- Stanitz, J.D. Lucia R.E. Massel, F.L. “Steady and Intermittent Flow Coefficients of Poppet Intake Valves.” NASA TN 1035 1946
- Iwamoto, J. “Experiments on Rotary Valve under Steady and Unsteady Flow Conditions.” SAE Paper No. 730668 , presented at SAE Meeting Chicago 1973