This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Spark Location on Combustion in a Variable-Swirl Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Measurements are presented showing the effect of swirl level and spark location on burn duration in a homogeneous-charge engine. Laser shadowgraph photographs of the flame structure were used to help interpret the observed results. As expected, without swirl the burn duration was a direct function of flame travel distance, such that central ignition was optimal. When swirl was introduced, off-axis ignition was aided by flame-holder effects that enhanced the flame speed in the circumferential direction. However, only for the highest swirl level studied (swirl number = 8.3) was the burn rate increased by moving the ignition point toward the cylinder wall. For lower swirl levels, central ignition was still preferable.
CitationWitze, P., "The Effect of Spark Location on Combustion in a Variable-Swirl Engine," SAE Technical Paper 820044, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820044.
- Witze P. O. Vilchis, F. R. “Stroboscope Laser Shadowgraph Study of the Effect of Swirl on Homogeneous Combustion in a Spark-Ignition Engine,” SAE Paper No. 810226 1981
- Mattavi, J. N. “The Attributes of Fast Burning Rates in Engines,” Transactions of the SAE 89 800920 2783-2801 1980
- Inoue, T. Nakanishi, K. Noguchi, H. Iguchi, S. The Role of Swirl and Squish in Combustion of the SI Engine,” 181-188 1980
- Smith, J. R. “A Comparison of Ignition Locations in a High Swirl Engine,” Sandia National Laboratories Report SAND 79-8715 1979
- Johnston, S. C. “Precombustion Fuel/Air Distribution in a Stratified Charge Engine Using Laser Raman Spectroscopy,” 88 790433 1608-1636 1979
- Lancaster, D. R. Krieger, R. B. Lienesch, J. H. “Measurement and Analysis of Engine Pressure Data,” 84 750026 155-172 1975
- Johnston, S. C. “Raman Spectroscopy and Flow Visualization Study of Stratified Charge Engine Combustion,” 89 800136 786-807 1980
- Rassweiler G. M. Withrow, L. “Motion-Pictures of Engine Flames Correlated with Pressure Cards,” 42 185-204 1938
- Steinberger, R. L. Marden, W. W. Bracco, F. V. “A Pulsed-Illumination, Closed-Circuit Television System for Real-Time Viewing of Engine Combustion and Observed Cyclic Variations,” SAE Paper No. 790093 1979
- Witze, P. O. “Influence of Air Motion Variation on the Performance of a Direct-Injection Stratified-Charge Engine,” Paper No. C394/80, Proceedings of the I. Mech. E. Conference on Stratified Charge Automotive Engines London 1980