This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Export Facilitation and the Australian Automotive Industry
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 16, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Australian automobile manufacture has been linked to Government policy directives for over 50 years. This has encouraged the growth and development of secondary manufacturing industry within Australia. The most recent changes to the protection of the local manufacturers is the Complementation or Export Facilitation scheme that allows credits for manufacturers who export components. These export credits are used by manufacturers to import parts without tariff penalties. Aims of the Export Facilitation scheme are to improve the productivity and cost structure of the Australian automobile industry by allowing world volume manufacture of parts that can be produced economically in Australia. Automotive engineers must now review their role within a new international manufacturing arena and ensure that component design and production technology meet these challenges.
CitationLongbottom, G., Coxon, C., and Storer, A., "Export Facilitation and the Australian Automotive Industry," SAE Technical Paper 811437, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/811437.
- Industries Assistance Commission “Draft Report on Passenger Motor Vehicles and Components - Post -1984 Assistance Arrangements” 1981
- McDougall J. Speech to the Institution of Engineers-Australia Adelaide 1980
- Inglis Sir Brian “Australian Industry and the World Car” Speech to the Society of Automotive Engineers-Australasia Melbourne 1980
- Australian Bureau of Statistics Motor Vehicle Registrations Australia
- Australian Bureau of Statistics “Motor Vehicles, Parts and Accessories”
- Australian Bureau of Statistics Imports of Assembled New Passenger Motor Cars (Preliminary)
- ADAPS Limited “Motor Vehicle Registrations”
- Mitsubishi Motors Australia Ltd. “Evidence to IAC Inquiry on Post-1984 Policies” 1981
- Department of Business and Consumer Affairs “Passenger Motor Vehicles and Components: Export Facilitation” Media Release 79/166 1979
- Department of Business and Consumer Affairs “Specialist Component Producers - Export Facilitation” Media Release 81/3 1981
- Department of Industry and Commerce “Girlock Export Success”. Press Release 28/81 1981
- Girlock Ltd. “Girlock News” 1 6 1981