This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Smokeless, Low NOx, and Low Noise Diesel Combustion with Methanol as a Main Fuel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to obtain improved combustion of methanol in a dual fuel diesel engine, both methanol and gas oil as an auxiliary fuel were injected into a pre-combustion chamber.
The effects of proportion and timing of the auxiliary fuel injection, and the main injection timing on the engine performance and on emissions were investigated.
As a result, with methanol 95% of total energy input, combustion took place without misfiring or knocking. The combustion was smokeless, smoother, with lower NOx, and lower noise than for usual combustion with gas oil. The thermal efficiency was maintained at the same level as in conventional diesel operation.
CitationChikahisa, T., Miyamoto, N., and Murayama, T., "Smokeless, Low NOx, and Low Noise Diesel Combustion with Methanol as a Main Fuel," SAE Technical Paper 811375, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/811375.
- Mose, C. A. “Engine Experiments with Alcohol/Diesel Fuel Blends” 3rd Symposium of Alcohol Fuel Technology California 1979
- Strait, J. Boedicker, J. J. “Diesel Oil and Ethanol Mixtures for Diesel Powered Farm Tractors” SAE paper 790958 1979
- Finsterwalder, G. “A New Deutz Multifuel System” SAE paper 720103 1972
- Urlaub A. G. Chmela, F. G. “High-Speed, Multifuel Engine: L9204 FWV” SAE paper 740122 1974
- Miyamoto, N. Yamazaki K. Murayama, T. “Effects of Forced Ignition in Diesel Engines with Alcohol Fuels” Joint Symp. of Int. Comb. Engines by JSME and JSAE, January 1981
- Barnes, K. D. Kittelson D. B. Murphy, T.E. “Effect of Alcohols as Supplemental Fuel for Turbocharged Diesel Engines” SAE paper 750469 1975
- Marcio, C. J. Chancellor W. J. Goss, J. R. “Dual-Fueling a Diesel Engine with Carbureted Alcohol” 3rd Symposium of Alcohol Fuel Technology California 1979
- Chikahisa, T. Miyamoto, N. Murayama T. Tanaka, K. “Combustion and Performance in Diesel Engines with Carbureted Ethanol” Joint Symposium of Internal Combustion Engines by JSME and JSAE, January 1981 139
- Eyzat, P. Baudry J. Sale, B. “The Effect of the Vigom Process on the Combustion in Diesel Engines” SAE National Transportation, Powerplant, and Fuels and Lubricant Meeting Baltimore 1964
- Gupta, C. P. Shipinski, J. Myers P. S. Uyehara, O. A. “Effects of Multiple Introduction of Fuel on Preflame Reactions in a Compression Ignition Engine” SAE Transactions, paper 650508 74 1966
- Miyamoto, N. Kamio, M. Murayama T. Fukazawa, S. “Study on Low Compression Ratio Diesel Engine: 4th Report, Effects of Auxiliary Injection” Bulletin of JSME 16 102 1973 1947
- Ikegami, M. Miwa K. Ikeda, H. “Analyses of the Diesel Combustion Process Based on Varying Delay Mechanism: Second Report, Effect of Pilot Injection” Bulletin of JSME 18 116 1975 177
- Tsukahara, M. Chikahisa, T. Miyamoto N. Murayama, T. “A Study on the Reduction of NOx of Diesel Engine by the Use of an Auxiliary Injection Method” Bulletin of the JSME 24 189 1981 571
- Holmer, E. “Methanol as a Substitute Fuel in the Diesel Engine” International Simposium of Alcohol Fuel Technology, Wolfsburg West Germany 1977
- Pischinger F. F. Havenith, C. “ A New Way of Direct Injection of Methanol in a Diesel Engine” 3rd International Symposium of Alcohol Fuel Technology California 1979
- Fujiwara, Y. Tosaka S. Fukazawa, S. “Gaschromatographic Analysis of NOx Emitted from Engines with Methanol Fuel” JSME pre-print, No. 772-2 1977 16