This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Molybdenum-Containing, Oil-Soluble Friction Modifiers on Engine Fuel Economy and Gear Oil Efficiency
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A selection of molybdenum-containing, oil-soluble friction modifier additivas were tested comparatively in engine dynamometer tests on gasoline and diesel engines; the tests measured variations in brake specific fuel consumption with speed. The results indicate improvements ranging from 3% to 5%.
A similar selection of molybdenum-containing additives were evaluated in terms of transmission efficiency in a hypoid-gear, rear-axle test rig; the baseline oil was a formulated SAE-75W gear oil. Improvements in efficiency averaged 1-3%.
Bench-scale friction tests utilizing the Press-Fit, Timken and Four-Ball test devices were employed to establish a correlation between small-scale rigs and full-scale engine tests.
|Technical Paper||Viscosity Influence on Friction Conditions and Fuel Economy of Automobiles - Some Basic Considerations|
|Technical Paper||Soot and Valve Train Wear in Passenger Car Diesel Engines|
CitationGreene, A. and Risdon, T., "The Effect of Molybdenum-Containing, Oil-Soluble Friction Modifiers on Engine Fuel Economy and Gear Oil Efficiency," SAE Technical Paper 811187, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/811187.
- Haviland M. L. Goodwin, M. C. “Fuel Economy Improvements with Friction Modified Engine Oils in Environmental Protection Agency and Road Tests,” SAE Paper 790945 , Fuels and Lubricants Meeting, Houston, Texas 1979
- Waddey, W. E. Shaub, H. Pecoraro J. M. Carley, R. A. “Improved Fuel Economy Via Engine Oils,” SAE Paper 780599 , Passenger Car Meeting, Troy, Michigan 1978
- Naman, T. M. “Automotive Fuel Economy-Potential Improvement through Selected Engine and Gear Lubricants,” SAE Paper 800438 , Congress and Exposition, Detroit, Michigan 1980
- Broman, V. E. DeJovine, J. DeVries D. L. Keller, G. H. “Testing of Friction Modified Crankcase Oils for Improved Fuel Economy,” SAE Paper 780597 , Passenger Car Meeting, Troy, Michigan 1978
- Lonstrup, T. F. Bachman H. E. Smith, C. R. “Testing the Fuel Economy Characteristics of Engine Oils,” SAE Paper 790949 , Fuels and Lubricants Meeting, Houston, Texas 1979
- Passut C. A. Kollman, R. E. “Laboratory Techniques for Evaluation of Engine Oil Effects on Fuel Economy,” SAE Paper 780601 , Passenger Car Meeting, Troy, Michigan 1978
- Braithwaite E. R. Greene, A. B. “A Critical Analysis of the Performance of Molybdenum Compounds in Motor Vehicles,” Wear 46 2 405 432 1978
- Lohuis, J. R. Murphy J. A. Rogers, T. W. “The Performance of Fuel-Saving Engine Oils,” SAE Paper 800436 , Congress and Exposition, Detroit, Michigan 1980
- Hobson, D. E. “Axle Efficiency-Test Procedures and Results,” SAE Paper 790744 , Passenger Car Meeting, Dearborn, Michigan 1979
- Papay, A. G. “Fuel Saving Gear Oils,” SAE Paper 790745 , Passenger Car Meeting, Dearborn, Michigan 1979
- Willermet P. A. Dixon, L. T. “Fuel Economy - Contribution of the Rear Axle Lubricant,” SAE Paper 770835 , Passenger Car Meeting, Detroit, Michigan 1977
- Hamaguchi, H. Maeda Y. Maeda, T. “Fuel Efficient Motor Oil for Japanese Passenger Cars,” SAE Paper 810316 , International Congress and Exposition, Detroit, Michigan 1981
- McDonnell, T. F. Farnsworth, G. R. Langan H. A. Sam, F. “ASTM Task Force Fuel Efficient Engine Oils Demonstration Program,” SAE Paper 810318, International Congress and Exposition, Detroit, Michigan 1981