This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evolution and Development of High Voltage (270 Volt) DC Aircraft Electric Systems in the United States
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The increasing demands on aircraft electric systems to provide a low maintenance, highly reliable energy supply in advanced military and commercial aircraft, and the growing need to become less dependent on complex ground support facilities has accelerated the development of new concepts in power generation, control, and utilization. Coupled with this, the present threat of terrorist damage to aircraft in flight has created an unprecedented need for system survivability. Because of the relative simplicity, flexibility, and the unique ability of direct current systems to provide instantaneous redundancy for critical loads, there has been a renewed interest in high voltage DC aircraft systems. This paper presents the system concept, and status of hardware development.
CitationSegrest, J. and Cloud, W., "Evolution and Development of High Voltage (270 Volt) DC Aircraft Electric Systems in the United States," SAE Technical Paper 811087, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/811087.
- Wilson B. J. O’Connor, J. P. An Assessment of High Voltage DC Electrical Power in Aircraft Electrical Systems NRL Report 7126 1970
- Hawkes, A. K. High Voltage DC Aircraft Electric System Study Air Force Report 6639 1953
- Lee, C. H. Investigation and Development of New Concepts for Improvement of Aircraft Electric Power Systems NASA Electronic Research Center 1968
- Segrest, J. High Voltage DC Power Systems for Aircraft NAVAIR-DEVCEN, IEEE-NAECON 1971
- Riddell J. III Feasibility Study of High Voltage DC Secondary Power Systems Concepts for Future Naval Aircraft Rockwell International Report NR74H-53 1974
- 270 VDC Impact Study Lockheed-California Co. Report LR28780 1978
- Reiquam, E. T. Electrical Power System for New Technology Transport Power-By-Wire Airplane Boeing Military Airplane Co.
- Reiquam, E. T. Preflight Laboratory Testing of 270 Volts DC Electric Power System Boeing Military Airplane Co.
- Heimbolt, R. L. Cronin, M. J. Howison, W. W. Application of Advanced Electric/Electronic Technology to Conventional Aircraft NASA Contractor Report NAS9-15863 1980
- Cronin, M. J. The All-Electric Airplane as an Energy Efficient Transport Lockheed California Co. SAE 801131 1980