This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Factors Influencing the Estimation of Submarining on the Dummy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Submarining is a phenomenon that may appear during the restraining of an occupant by a safety belt and it is ascribed to an important lesional factor mainly on the abdominal body segment and lumbar spine.
This paper presents a literature overview and an in depth analysis of an accident survey which indicate that even if submarining may exist, it does not constitute a “safety belt syndrome” when considering the frequency of abdominal lesions. But these lesions are fairly often severe.
As regards the approval standards tests, it is necessary to define an abdominal protection criterion. At present, two types of transducers are proposed for the display of submarining on the part 572 dummy and one of them, moreover, can be associated with an abdominal criterion. Our experimental study enabled us to compare the capabilities of the transducers.
It is our feeling that these transducers can only be useful for the detection of submarining and that an abdominal protection criterion is still lacking. Moreover, it appears that some particular aspects of the human body model should be re-examinated in the abdomen-pelvis region in order to check that the dummy presents an acceptable “human-like” behaviour.
|Technical Paper||Dynamic Simulations of Belted Occupants with Submarining|
|Technical Paper||Evaluation Methods for the Biomechanical Quality of Restraint Systems During Frontal Impact|
|Technical Paper||Regional Tolerance to Impact Acceleration|
CitationDeJeammes, M., Biard, R., and Derrien, Y., "Factors Influencing the Estimation of Submarining on the Dummy," SAE Technical Paper 811021, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/811021.
- BOURRETP., CORBELLS., CAVALLEROC., “Injury Agents and Impact Mechanisms in Frontal Crashes about 350 in the Field Accidents. 21st Stapp Car Crash Conf. 770919 pp. 213-258.
- RATTENBURYS.J. and al. “The Biomechanical Limits of Seat Belt Protection”, 23th AAAM Conf. 1979 pp. 162-176.
- SABEYB.E., GRANTB.E., HOBBSC.A., “Alleviation of Injuries by Use of Seat-Belts”, 6th International Conf. IAATM Melbourne 1977, pp. 480-484.
- WALZF., NIEDERERP., and al. “Analyse des accidents par rapport aux ceintures de sécurite”, Département Fédéral de Justice et Police - Berne 1977.
- HARTEMANNF., and al. “Belted or not-belted: the Only Difference Between two Matched Sample of 200 Car Occupants”, Stapp Car Crash Conf. 770917, pp. 95-150.
- RYANP., RAGAZZONR., “Abdominal Injuries in Survivors of Road Trauma before and since Seat-Belt Legislation in Victoria” AUS. N.Z. J. Surg. Vol. 49 no 2, Av 1979, pp. 200-202.
- DALMOTASD.J., “Mechanisms of Injury to Vehicle Occupants Restraints by Three Point Seat Belts”. 24th Stapp Car Crash Conf. 801311, pp. 439-476.
- PATRICKL.M., BOHLINN., ANDERSSONA., “Three Point Harness Accident and Laboratory Data Comparison”, 18th Stapp Car Crash Conf. 741181, pp. 201-282.
- WALFISHG., and al. “Synthesis and Abdominal Injuries in Frontal Collisions with Belt Wearing Cadavers with Injuries Sustained in Real Life Accident Victims”. IRCOBI Conf. 1979, GOTEBORG, pp. 151-164.
- KALLIERISD., MATTERNR., “Shoulder Belt Forces and Thorax Injuries”. IRCOBI Conf. 1974 pp. 171-184.
- KALLIERISD., SCHMIDTG., BARZJ., “Response and Vulnerability of the Human Body at Different Impact Velocities in Simulated Three Point Belted Cadaver Tests. IRCOBI Conf. 1978 pp. 195-209.
- PATICKL.M., LEVINER.S., “Injury to Unembalmed Belted Cadavers in Simulated Collisions” 19th Stapp Car Crash Conf. 751144, pp. 79-116.
- LEVINER.S., PATRICKL.M., BEGEMANP.C., KINGA.I., “Effect of Quadriceps Function on Submarining 22th AAAM Conf.. 1978 Vol. 1, pp. 319-329.
- RAMETM., CESARID., “Behaviour of Restrained Dummies and Cadavers in Frontal Impacts”, IRCOBI Conf. 1979 pp. 210-222.
- LEUNGY.C. and al. “A Comparison Between Part 572 Dummy and Human Subject in the Problem of Submarining” 23th Stapp Car Crash Conf. 791026 pp. 675-720.
- SANSON-MORVAN, “Sangle de retenue sous-abdominale. Méthode de détection de dépassement de crétes ilia-ques. Rapport interne CITROEN - Sept. 1977.
- STALNAKERR.L., “Submarining Sled Tests - Part 572 Pelvis with and Without PSA/Renault Submarining Transducers.Report 70012003-7 TNO Oct. 1980.