This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Evaluation of Fibrous Filters for Trapping Diesel-Exhaust Particulates
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A test apparatus containing two raw-gas particulate sampling systems was designed and developed to determine accurately the performance of various materials as diesel exhaust particulate filters. This apparatus was used in conjunction with a single-cylinder diesel engine and a series of fibrous filters to quantify experimentally the effects of filter face area, filter thickness, packing density and fiber diameter on filter performance. Time-dependent efficiency measurements made with this system were smooth and consistent for all of the filters tested and correctly reflected the changes made in these key trap parameters. In all cases, the collection efficiency of the filters increased during the first hour of operation and then reached a relatively constant level. The pressure drop across the filters increased continuously as particulate material accumulated on the filters. Particulate size-distribution measurements made upstream and downstream of an exhaust filter showed that the smallest exhaust particles were more efficiently captured than the larger particles.
CitationMacDonald, J. and Vaneman, G., "Experimental Evaluation of Fibrous Filters for Trapping Diesel-Exhaust Particulates," SAE Technical Paper 810956, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/810956.
- Oh Se H. MacDonald J. Scott Vaneman Gerald L. Hegedus L. Louis “Mathematical Modeling of Fibrous Filters for Diesel Particulates - Theory and Experiment,” SAE Paper No. 810113 February 1981
- Payatakes Alkiviades C. Chi Tien “Particle Deposition in Fibrous Media with Dendrite-Like Pattern: A Preliminary Model,” Journal of Aerosol Science 7 85 100 1975
- Payatakes Alkiviades C. “Model of Transient Aerosol Particle Deposition in Fibrous Media with Dendritic Pattern,” AlChE Journal 23 2 192 202 1977
- Najt Paul “Light-Duty Particulate Measurements Using a CVS Tunnel,” Paper presented at Symposium on Diesel Particulate Emissions Measurement and Characterization Ann Arbor Michigan May 17-19 1978
- MacDonald J. Scott Plee L.Steven D'Arcy James B. Richard M. Schreck “Experimental Measurements of the Independent Effects of Dilution Ratio and Filter Temperature on Diesel Exhaust Particulate Samples,” SAE Paper No. 800185 February 1980
- Davies C. N. Air Filtration Academic Press New York 1973