This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Industrial Hovercraft: A Current Design and Its Future Potential
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Hovercraft utilize air blown from fans to facilitate transportation over adverse conditions. The design and performance of a test towed vehicle designed to transport harvested tomatoes is reported. The hovercraft reduced the force required to move the vehicle and the soil compaction of the fields transversed. Other industrial hovercraft applications and design considerations are surveyed.
|Technical Paper||Hovercraft in the United Kingdom - A Review of Significant Events in 1964 and Some Likely Developments in the Near Future|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Agricultural Tractor Tire Dynamic Indices|
CitationSchueller, J., Krutz, G., and Thompson, L., "Industrial Hovercraft: A Current Design and Its Future Potential," SAE Technical Paper 810914, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/810914.
- Mantle P.J “A Technical Summary of Air Cushion Craft Development.” David W. Taylor Naval Research and Development Center Report DTN3RDC 4727. U.S. Department of Commerce, National Technical Information Service, catalog no. AD-A022, 583
- Schueller J.K. “Air Cushion Vehicle Transport of Harvested Tomatoes.” M.S. Thesis in Engineering submitted to Purdue University August 1979
- Schueller J.K. Krutz G.W. Thompson L.J. Johnson P.E. “Tomato Transport: Air Cushion Vehicle Design and Development.” Transactions of the ASAE 23 4 802 804 1980
- Wismer R.D. Luth H.J. “Off-Road Traction Prediction for Wheeled Vehicles.” Transactions of the ASAE 17 1 8 10 14 1974
- “Terraplane T 3S BC 7” Societe d'Etudes et de Developpementdes Aeroglisseurs, Marins Terrestres et Amphibies (SEDAM) Paris
- “ACV-4000 Backhoe” MariDyne, Fullerton California
- Stanton-Jones R. “The Future Development of Hovercraft.” The Production Engineer 365 383 August 1968
- Waters D. “Light Hovercraft Design Handbook.” Loughborough, Leichestershire, U.K. University of Technology Department of Transport Technology 1969
- Elsley G.H. Devereux A.J. “Hovercraft Design and Construction.” Cambridge, Maryland Cornell Maritime Press 1968
- Wong J.Y. “Theory of Ground Vehicles.” New York John Wiley 1978
- Johnstone D.R. Pope G.G. Andrews M. Stacey G.R. “Preliminary Trials with a Light Hovercraft for CDA Spraying.” Centre for CNerseas Pest Research London 1978
- MacDonald N. “Worldwide Hovercraft Operations.” Hovering Craft and Hydrofoil 18 1 October 1978
- “Compressed Air Gives Heavy Loads a ‘Lift’” Compressed Air 86 4 8 11