This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The History of Aviation Turbine Lubricants
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Condensed in this report are the salient points of the forty year history of the development of the gas turbine engine, its associated aircraft and the various lubricants used. Tables are included comparing some of the important specification properties of many of these fluids, both petroleum and synthetics. An explanation is incorporated outlining the reasons synthetics perform well in the turbine engine environment. A genealagical chart detailing the various dates on which lubricant specifications or important changes were issued is provided.
There are indications that some commercially available lubricants are being stressed to the limits of the fluids capabilities. Any new engine designs, therefore, may require entirely new lubricants and/or new lubrication systems.
|Technical Paper||Some Controls and Accessories Design Approaches to Technical Requirements for Gas Turbine Engines|
|Technical Paper||Next Generation NASA GA Advanced Concept|
|Technical Paper||History of Aircraft Piston Engine Oils-The Last Forty Years|
CitationKnipple, R. and Thich, J., "The History of Aviation Turbine Lubricants," SAE Technical Paper 810851, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/810851.
- “Seven Decades of Progress - A Heritage of Aircraft Turbine Technology.” Fallbrook, CA Aero Publishers, Inc. 1979 “The Jet Engine.” Rolls-Royce Ltd., Publication REF.T.S.D.1302 3rd Edition July 1969 “Specifications.” Aviation Week and Space Technology March 13 1978
- Gunderson R. C. Hart A. W. “Synthetic Lubricants.” New York, N.Y. Reinhold Publishing Corp. 1962 F. Barcroft “Lubricants for the Aircraft Gas Turbine.” Shell Aviation News, 448 1978
- Beane G. A. IV Air Force Air Propulsion Laboratory Private Communication
- Venable L. B. “GE Views on Jet Engine Lubrication.” Proceedings of the Air Force - Navy - Industry Propulsion Systems Lubricants Conference Texas November 1960
- Tingle E. D. “Fundamental Work on Friction, Lubrication and Wear in Germany During the War Years.” J. Inst. Petroleum 34 298 October 1948 743 71
- U. S. Naval Technical Mission in Europe “The Manufacture and Application of Lubricants in Germany.” Technical Report No. 146-45 July 1945 31 8
- Zorn H. “Esters As Lubricants.” U. S. Air Force Translation Report F-T-S-957 RE 1946-7
- West H. L. , BIOS Report No. 1611, J. Inst. Petroleum, 34, 774 1948
- Murphy C.M. Zisman W. A. “Structural Guides for Synthetic Lubricant Development.” Ind. Eng. Chem. 42 December 1950 2415 20
- Murphy C. M. Romans J. B. Zisman W. A. “Viscosities and Densities of Lubricating Fluids from −40 to 700°F.” Trans. ASME 71 July 1949 561 74
- Marsh A. Pratt & Whitney Aircraft, Private Communication. P&WA 521 specification (5.1.51)
- Lewis H. R. “Operating Experience with MIL-L-23699 Lubricating Oil.” Proceedings of the USAF - SwRI Turbine Engine Lubrication Conference Texas September 1966
- Hester D. B. General Electric Co., Private Communication.
- Barnes R. S. Fainman M. Z. “Synthetic Ester Lubricants.” Lubr. Eng. August 1957
- Sommers E. F. Crowell T. J. J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 1955 77 5443
- Alexander E. R. Mudrak A. J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 1950 72 1810
- Robson R. “Synthetic Aviation Lubricants.” Lubrication and Tribology January 1971 7 11
- Critchley S. W. Miles P. “Synthetic Lubricants - Selection of Ester Types for Different Temperature Environments.” Proceedings of the Industrial Lubrication Symposium London March 1965
- Berkey K. L. “USAF Turbine Lubrication Experience” Proceedings of the USAF - SWRI Turbine Engine Lubrication Conference Texas September 1966
- Ballentine O. M. Royal Lubricants Co., Inc., Private Communication.
- Berkey K. L. “Gas Turbine Lubricants Picture - 1960” “Proceedings of the Air Force - Navy - Industry Propulsion Systems Lubricants Conference Texas November 1960
- Daley J. A. Pratt & Whitney Aircraft, Private Communication,
- Hester D. B. Pacher A. J. “Evaluation of Oils for Lubrication and Hydraulic Actuation in the GE4 (SST) Engine.” Paper 680319 presented at SAE Air Transportation Meeting New York April 1968
- Fainman M. Z. “Development of a Corrosion Preventive Gas Turbine Lubricant Complying with Military Specification MIL-L-23699(1).” Bray Oil Co., Contract NObs-92316 April 1965