This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Family of Tapered Roller Bearings for Front Wheel Drive Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Automotive wheel and brake engineers are studying various wheel bearing concepts which lend themselves to easy installation and reduction of unsprung weight. A family of tapered roller bearing designs has been developed for both driving and non-driving wheels which offer the industry several options for marrying suspension, wheel and bearing components. While differing in configuration, all may be selected to meet established criteria for satisfactory performance based on the latest bearing analysis techniques and experience derived from extensive laboratory and field test programs.
|Technical Paper||Wheel Bearing with Integral Speed and Temperature Sensor for Anti-Lock Braking Systems|
|Technical Paper||A New Generation: ABS Capable Wheel Bearings|
CitationCave, B. and Nixon, H., "A Family of Tapered Roller Bearings for Front Wheel Drive Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 810756, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/810756.
- Cameron R. W. Jenkins A. J. “Design Parameters for Automated Bearing Settings,” SAE Paper No. 700730 presented at Combined National Farm, Construction and Industrial Machinery and Powerplant Meeting Milwaukee, Wisconsin September 14-17 1970
- “Automotive Hub Design - Part 2,” Automotive Engineer February/March 1980
- Gilbert G. G. Harbottle W. E. “UNIPAC - An Independently Sprung Driving Wheel Bearing,” SAE Paper No. 790714
- “Una Tercera Generacion de Rodaiementos,” Auto-Revista , No. 1187 May 24 1980
- Poon S. Y. Williams S. G. “Evaluation of a Hub Assembly,” The South African Mechanical Engineer 30 April 1980
- Wasik H. J. “Wheel Bearing Mountings for Highway Vehicles,” SAE Paper No. 760373 presented at Automotive Engineering Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan February 23-27 1976
- Gilbert G. G. Hoeprich M. R. Wasik H. J. “Computerized Bearing System Analysis Tuned for Front-Wheel-Drive Vehicles,” SAE Paper No. 800006 , Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan February 25-29 1980
- Dominik E. D. “Load and Stress Investigation of a New Concept Wheel Bearing Hub,” SAE Paper , No. 760362 presented at Automotive Engineering Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan February 23-27 1976
- Smith J. G. Smith J. E. “Lateral Forces on Vehicles During Driving,” Automobile Engineer December 1967
- Otto D. L. “Triangular Asperities Control Seal Leakage and Lubrication,” SAE Paper No. 740201 , Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit, Michigan February 25 March 1 1974
- Nedley L. “An Effective Aerodynamic Program in the Design of a New Car,” SAE Paper No. 790724
- Porter F. C. “Design for Fuel Economy - The New G.M. Front-Drive Cars,” SAE Paper No. 790721
- Thompson G. D. Reineman M. E. “Tire Rolling Resistance and Vehicle Fuel Consumption,” SAE Paper No. 810168 , International Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan February 23-27 1981
- Neifert H. R. Wren F. J. “The Rating of Tapered Roller Bearings Through Continuing Worldwide Quality Audit,” SAE Paper No. 690577 , presented at SAE National Farm, Construction, Industrial Machinery Meeting Milwaukee, Wisconsin September 8-11 1969