This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vortex Drag Reduction by Diffusing Vanes: Design for the “Thrush” Agricultural Aircraft
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The use of low aspect ratio, often untapered wings on agricultural aircraft leads to strong tip vortices, high induced drag and disruption of spray patterns. Wing tip devices which modify the trailing vortex offer performance and flow improvements.
A systematic experimental program has lead to a patented vortex diffuser device for drag reduction which comprises a winglet-like vane mounted from a boom which trails a wing tip.
Flight test experiments on an RCRV model indicate slight degradation of lateral stability with such vortex diffusers fitted but substantial degradation for winglets. Analysis indicates this is due to increases in Cℓβ with the tip devices present.
The design of Vortex Diffuser Vanes for the “Thrush” agricultural aircraft is described. Instrumented flight tests are scheduled for Spring, 1981.
|Technical Paper||Leading Edge High Lift Devices for Agricultural Aircraft|
|Technical Paper||Aerodynamic Improvements for Agricultural Aircraft|
|Technical Paper||Wind Tunnel Investigations of a High Speed Stowed Rotor Aircraft|
CitationHackett, J., "Vortex Drag Reduction by Diffusing Vanes: Design for the “Thrush” Agricultural Aircraft," SAE Technical Paper 810605, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/810605.
- Loerke A. W. “Wing Tip Vortex Reducer,“ U. S. Patent No. 2,075,817 April 6 1937
- Charpentier J.F.G.M.L. “Aeroplane,” U. S. Patent No. 2,123,096 March 23 1936
- Berlin D. R. “Airplane,” U. S. Patent No. 2,326,819 August 28 1940
- Lee J. G. “Rotating Jet Device for Airfoils,“ U. S. Patent No. 2,477,461 July 29 1943
- Shaw E. L. “Wing Tip Vortex Reducer for Aircraft,“ U. S. Patent No. 2,485,218 October 18 1943
- Vogt R. “Twisted Wing Tip Fin for Airplanes,“ U. S. Patent No. 2,576,981 February 8 1949
- Lippisch A. M. “Variable Wing,” U. S. Patent No. 2,743,888 October 20 1951
- Rethorst S. C. “Slotted Diffuser System for Reducing Aircraft Induced Drag,” U. S. Patent No. 3,712,564 January 23 1973
- Whitcomb R. T. “A Design Approach and Selected Wind Tunnel Results at High Subsonic Speeds for Wing-Tip Mounted Winglets,” NASA TN D-8260 July 1976
- Spillman J. J. “The Use of Wing Tip Sails to Reduce Vortex Drag,“ Aeronautical Journal September 1978
- Hackett J. E. “Vortex Drag Reduction by Aft-Mounted Diffusing Vanes,” ICAS Paper 80-13.4. See ICAS Proceedings 1980 542
- Hackett J. E. Lyman V. “Calculation of Vortex Splitting by a Two-Vaned Dissipator,” Lockheed-Georgia Company Engineering Report LG74ER0153 October 1974
- Hackett J. E. “An Analysis of Wing Tip Vortex Diffuser Aerodynamics with Particular Reference to C-141 Application,” Lockheed-Georgia Company Engineering Report LG75ER0136 October 1975
- Hackett J. E. Lyman V. “The Wing Tip Vortex Diffuser: A Review of Drag Reduction Experiments and Analysis at Lockheed-Georgia,” Lockheed-Georgia Company Engineering Report LG77ER0234 December 1977
- Hackett J. E. Phillips C. G. “Low Speed Tests on Various Wing Tip Devices for Drag Reduction,” Lockheed-Georgia Company Engineering Report LG80ER0049 March 1980
- Jenkins M.W.M. Somerville R. B. “Handling Qualities of Aircraft Equipped with Wing Tip End Plates,” Lockheed-Georgia Company Interdepartmental Memo E-42-500-79 August 1979
- Lyman V. “Predicted Loads for the “Thrush” Ag. Aircraft Fitted with Vortex Diffusers,” Lockheed-Georgia Company Interdepartmental Memo E-74-101-79 January 1979