This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Contra Costa County's One-Year Experience with Gasohol
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Starting August 1, 1979, a one-year gasohol test was conducted by Contra Costa County. A total of 30 county pool cars were on test-15 on gasohol and 15 similar cars on gasoline as a control group.
Findings were as follows. There were no fuel-related maintenance problems in either the gasohol or gasoline groups of cars. Cool weather driveability for the gasohol cars was the same or better than gasoline cars. No vapor lock or other hot driveability problems were reported for either fuel. Fuel economy of the gasohol cars was about 5% poorer than that of the gasoline cars. Fuel system deposits with gasohol were increased and differed in character compared to gasoline. Also, the gasohol carburetors showed more inlet needle valve tip wear. However, to date, the observed deposits and wear with gasohol have not caused any apparent problems.
|Technical Paper||Gasohol: Laboratory and Fleet Test Evaluation|
|Technical Paper||Ethanol-Blended Fuel as a CO Reduction Strategy at High Altitude|
|Technical Paper||Fleet Experience Using Three Blends of Ethanol and Unleaded Gasoline|
CitationGibbs, L. and Gilbert, B., "Contra Costa County's One-Year Experience with Gasohol," SAE Technical Paper 810440, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/810440.
- Shadis W. J. McCallum P. W. “A Comparative Assessment of Current Gasohol Fuel Economy Data, ” Paper 800889 presented at SAE West Coast International Meeting Los Angeles August 1980
- Gurney M. D. Allsup J. R. Merlotti C. L. “Gasohol: Laboratory and Fleet Test Evaluation.” Paper 800892 presented at SAE West Coast International Meeting Los Angeles August 1980
- Nakaguchi G. M. Keller J. L. “Ethanol Fuel Modification for Highway Vehicle Use.” Final Report ALO-3683-T1, Department of Energy, Contract No. EY-76-C-04-3683, Modification A003 July 1979 January 1980
- Gibbs A. L. M. Richardson C. E. “Carburetor Deposits and Their Control.” Paper 790202 presented at SAE Congress and Exposition Detroit February-March 1979
- Joseph J. W. Grogan D. M. “Fleet Experience Using Three Blends of Ethanol and Unleaded Gasoline.” Paper 801361 presented at SAE Fuels and Lubricants Meeting Baltimore October 1980
- Owens E. C. Frame E. A. Marbach H. W. “Effects of Alcohol Fuels on Engine Wear.” Paper 800857 presented at SAE Passenger Car Meeting Dearborn June 1980