This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Variable Geometry Turbocharging- The Realistic Way Forward
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper describes the results of a major development programme in association with industry on a prototype variable geometry turbocharger turbine coupled to a wide mass flow range compressor, and the matching of this unit to a standard Perkins T 6.354 engine.
The performance target for the turbine was a mass flow turn down ratio of 2:1 and achievement of potential torque back up of 50% at half of rated engine speed.
The results are described under the following headings:
TURBINE PERFORMANCE ASSESSMENT - Rig testing in high speed dynamometer for various settings of V.G. device and discussion of experimental results.
V.G. TURBOCHARGED ENGINE PERFORMANCE ASSESSMENT.
Steady state performance results.
Transient performance results.
The paper concludes with a discussion of the potential of V.G. turbocharging in commercial applications.
|Technical Paper||Experimental Study of the Turbine Inlet Gas Temperature Influence on Turbocharger Performance|
|Technical Paper||Performance of a Turbocharger Compressor With a Range of Low Solidity Vaned Diffusers|
CitationWallace, F., Way, R., and Baghery, A., "Variable Geometry Turbocharging- The Realistic Way Forward," SAE Technical Paper 810336, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/810336.
- Watson N. “Turbochargers and Turbo-charged Engines”, SAE Special Publication SP 442 1979
- Schwarzbauer G.E. “Turbocharging of Tractor Engines with Exhaust Gas Turbochargers and the BBC Comprex”. I.Mech.E. Conference Turbochargers and Turbocharging, Paper C 69/78 1978
- Cser G. “Some results of Combined Charging Applications”. I.Mech.E., Conference Turbochargers and Turbocharging, Paper C 64/78 1978
- Watson N. Marzouk M. Bhazari. Z. “Turbocharger System Options for Vehicle Engines”. I.Mech.E. Conference Turbochargers and Turbocharging, Paper C 61/78 1978
- Andre-Talanion T. “New Aspect of Turbocharger Utilization with the Hyperbar Parallel Supercharging”. I.Mech.E. Conference Turbochargers and Turbocharging, Paper C66/78 1978
- Wallace P.J. Adgey J.M. Blair G.P. “Performance of Inward Radial Flow Turbines under Non-Steady Flow Conditions” Proc.I.Mech.E 184 10 1969/70
- Wallace F.J. Cave P.R. Miles. J. “Performance of Inward Radial Flow Turbines under Steady Flow Conditions with Special Reference to High Pressure Ratios and Partial Admission”. Proc.I.Mech.E 1 1969/70
- Bowns D.E. Wallace F.J. Lynn F.A. Way R.J.W. Prest. P.H. “A Novel Approach to the Testing of Integrated Engine-Transmission Systems”. I.Mech.E., Conference Solihull 1978