This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fatigue Consideration in the Design of Automotive Composites
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Light weight composite materials are being considered in many structural automotive applications such as leaf spring, transmission support member, and wheels. The primary design criteria in all these applications is resistance against fatigue failure. This paper reviews some of the unique features of automotive composites in fatigue loading and discusses their differences with metals, particularly in relation to fatigue crack propagation. Practical consequences of such inherent differences are also discussed.
|Technical Paper||Fiber-Reinforced Automotive Wheels-Promises and Challenges|
|Technical Paper||Composite Wheels|
CitationMallick, P., "Fatigue Consideration in the Design of Automotive Composites," SAE Technical Paper 810326, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/810326.
- Fesko D. G. Mallick P. K. Newman S. “Automotive Composites - Manufacturing and Materials Interactions” ASME Winter Annual Meeting San Francisco December 1978
- Heimbuch R. Sanders B. “Mechanical Properties of Automotive Chopped Fiber Reinforced Plastics” ASME Winter Annual Meeting San Francisco December 1978
- Reigner D. Saunders B. “A Characterization Study of Automotive Continuous and Random Glass Fiber Composites” SPE NATEC Detroit November 1979
- Denton D. L. “The Mechanical Properties of an SMC-R50 Composite” 34th Annual Tech. Conference, SPI February 1979
- Mallick P. K. “Fatigue Characteristics of High Glass Content SMC Materials” SPE ANTEC New Orleans May 1979
- Erratt R. L. Lindley N. L. Thomas R. E. “Fatigue Performance of High Strength Molding Compounds” Composites Technology Review 2 1 1980
- Fesko D. G. “Flexural Fatigue of Unidirectional Fiberglass-Reinforced Polyester” Polymer Engineering and Science 17 4 April 1977
- Raghupathi N. Daniels V. A. “Development of an FRP Automotive Structural Component-The Transmission Crossmember” 35th Annual Tech. Conference, SPI February 1980
- Dally J. W. Broutman L. J. “Frequency Effect on the Fatigue of Glass-Reinforced Plastics” J. of Composite Materials 1 1967
- Sun C. T. Chan W. S. “Frequency Effect on the Fatigue Life of a Laminated Composite” Composite Materials-Testing and Design, ASTM STP 674 1979
- Owen M. J. “Designing Against Fatigue in Glass-Reinforced Plastics” Designing with Fiber Reinforced Materials, The Institution of Mechanical Engineers 1979
- SAE Handbook, Part 2 1980
- Salkind M. J. “VTOL Aircraft” Applications of Composite Materials, ASTM STP 524 1973
- Woelfel J. A. O'Neil K. B. Brede A. Smith R. W. “Reinforced Composite Wheels: Light-Wheel of the Future” 34th Annual Tech. Conference, SPI February 1979