This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of the Differential Compound Engine Using Microprocessor Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper describes further work on the differential compound engine (DCE) which, following earlier theoretical work on the feasibility of multi-variable control is now being converted to microprocessor controlled continuous optimization for minimum fuel consumption for any demanded combination of output shaft conditions. The controlled variables on this integrated compounded engine transmission system include:
engine governor set point
geared turbine nozzle angle
engine bypass settingand, additionally, in a system yet to be developed, but already theoretically investigated, fuel injection timing and duration.
The paper describes the experimental and analytical procedures, using a programmable high response hydrostatic dynamometer, for establishing the 3-dimensional control surfaces for the above 3 variables, and the subsequent implementation of a microprocessor controlled system.
CitationWallace, F. and Kimber, R., "Optimization of the Differential Compound Engine Using Microprocessor Control," SAE Technical Paper 810256, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/810256.
- Wallace F.J. “Operating Characteristics of Compound Engine Schemes for Traction Purposes based on Opposed Piston Two-Stroke Engines with Differential Gearing” Proc.I.MechE 173 2 1963
- Wallace F.J. “The Differential Compound Engine” SAE, Detroit - 670110 January 1967
- Wallace F.J. Few P.C. Cave P.R. “The Differential Compound Engine - Interim Test Results and Assessment of Future Development” Proc.I.MechE, VHO Symposium, Nottingham, Paper 6
- Wallace F.J. Few P.C. Cave P.R. “The Differential Compound Engine-Further Development” SAE Congress, Detroit - 710085 January 1971
- Wallace F.J. “The Differential Compound Engine” Proc.I.MechE 1973 197 548
- Wallace F.J. Sivakumaran K. “The Differential Compound Engine-Part 1: Steady-State and Emission Characteristics” National Combined Farm, Construction & Industrial Machinery and Powerplant Meetings Milwaukee, U.S.A. 9 12 September 1974
- Wallace F.J. Hargreaves M.R.O. Bowns D.E. Cave P.R. “The Differential Compound Engine - Part 2: Transient Response of the Conventional Turbocharged Engines” National Combined Farm, Construction & Industrial Machinery and Powerplant Meetings Milwaukee, U.S.A. 9 12 September 1974
- Wallace F.J. Winkler G. Bowns D.E “Multi-Variable Control of Diesel Engine/Transmission Systems with Infinitely Variable Ratios” SAE Congress Detroit February 1977
- Wallace F.J. Way R.J.B. “A Comprehensive Suite of Steady-State and Transient Response Engine-Turbocharger Performance Prediction Programs” UNICEG/SRC Conference London April 1980