This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
FIAT Research Center Reference Car: Correlation Tests Between Four Full Scale European Wind Tunnels and Road
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As part of the general program for comparing leading European automotive wind tunnels, three reference cars derived by Volkswagen (VW), Pininfarina (PF) and FIAT Research Center (CRT) from production models, were tested in different configurations.
This report contains the result of tests carried out on a CRF reference car in CRF, VW, DB and PF wind tunnels as well as on the road.
The wind tunnel tests of the car in 7 different configurations show a fairly good agreement particularly for the drag coefficients measured in the various tunnels.
Road tests were carried out with the car in three configurations at constant speed (measuring front and rear axle lift, body pressure and visualising the wake) and in coast-down (measuring aerodynamic resistance).
The results obtained proved that road driving conditions with no side wind or turbulence are correctly simulated in wind tunnel tests.
|Journal Article||Critical Assessment of Some Popular Scale-Resolving Turbulence Models for Vehicle Aerodynamics|
|Technical Paper||A Calibration Study of CFD for Automotive Shapes and CD|
|Technical Paper||Aerodynamic Development of an Experimental car|
CitationCostelli, A., Garrone, A., Visconti, A., Buchheim, R. et al., "FIAT Research Center Reference Car: Correlation Tests Between Four Full Scale European Wind Tunnels and Road," SAE Technical Paper 810187, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/810187.
- Buccheim R. Unger R. “Comparison Tests between Major European Automotive Wind Tunnels.” SAE Paper 800140
- Cogotti A. “Comparison Tests between Some Full-Scale European Automotive Wind Tunnels Pininfarina Reference Car.” SAE Paper 800139
- Moerchen W. “The Climatic Wind Tunnel of Volkswagenwerk AG.” SAE Paper 680120
- Morelli A. “The New Pininfarina Wind Tunnel for Full Scale Automotive Testing. Advance in Road Aerodynamics.” BHR Research Ass. Cranfield, U.K. 1973 335 366
- Antonucci G. Ceronetti G. Costelli A. “Aerodynamic and Climatic Wind Tunnels in the FIAT Research Center.” SAE Paper 770392
- Kuhn A. “Der Grosse Daimler Benz Windkanal.” ATZ Automobil Technische Zeitschrift No. 1/1978
- Hucho W.H. Janssen L.J. Schwarz G. “The Wind Tunnels Ground Plane Boundary Layer its Interference with the Flow Underneath Cars.”
- Pope A. “Wind Tunnel Testing.”
- Morelli A. “Automobile Aerodynamic Drag on the Road Compared with Wind Tunnel Tests.” SAE Congress February 1981