This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Mathematical Modeling of Fibrous Filters for Diesel Particulates – Theory and Experiment
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A mathematical model has been developed to describe the initial performance of fibrous filters for diesel exhaust particulates. In addition to the basic mechanisms of particle deposition on fibers, the size distributions of both diesel particulates and fibers were incorporated into the model in order to account for the polydispersity of particles and fibers encountered in realistic diesel particulate filters. Filtration experiments with a single-cylinder diesel engine were conducted to test the validity of the model, and the calculated filter efficiencies agreed very well with the experimental data.
CitationOh, S., MacDonald, J., Vaneman, G., and Hegedus, L., "Mathematical Modeling of Fibrous Filters for Diesel Particulates – Theory and Experiment," SAE Technical Paper 810113, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/810113.
- General Motors Response to EPA Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on Particulate Regulation for Light-Duty Diesel Vehicles, submitted to Environmental Protection Agency, April 19, 1979.
- Public Hearing on EPA's Proposed Particulate Emission Standards for Ligbt-Duty Diesel Vehicles, Washington, D.C., March 19 and 20, 1979.
- Springer K. J. and Stahman R. C., “Removal of Exhaust Particulate from a Mercedes 300D Diesel Car,” SAE Paper 770716, presented at Off-Highway Vehicle Meeting and Exhibition, Milwaukee, September 12-15, 1977.
- Tessier L. P., Sullivan H. F., Bragg G. M. and Hermance C. E., “The Development of a High Efficiency Diesel Exhaust Particulate Filter,” SAE Paper 800338, presented at SAE Congress and Exposition, Detroit, February 25-29, 1980.
- Davies C. N., “Air Filtration,” Academic Press, New York, 1973.
- Chen C. Y., “Filtration of Aerosols by Fibrous Media,” Chem. Rev. 55, 595 (1955)
- Payatakes A. C., “Model of Transient Aerosol Particle Deposition in Fibrous Media with Dendritic Pattern,” AIChE J. 23, 192 (1977).
- Payatakes A. C., “Model of the Dynamic Behavior of a Fibrous Filter. Application to Case of Pure Interception During Period of Unhindered Growth,” Powder Technology 14, 267 (1976).
- Payatakes A. C. and Gradon L., “Dendritic Deposition of Aerosols by Convective Brownian Diffusion for Small, Intermediate and High Particle Knudsen Numbers,” AIChE J. 26, 443 (1980).
- Leers R., “Die Abscheidung von Schwebstoffen in Fasernfiltern,” Staub 50, 402 (1957).
- Billings C. E., “Effect of Particle Accumulation in Aerosol Filtration,” Ph.D. Dissertation, Calif. Inst. Technol., Pasadena (1966).
- Hesketh H. E., “Fine Particles in Gaseous Media,” Ann Arbor Science, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1977.
- Kaufmann A., “Die Faserstoffe fur Atemschutzfilter,” Z. Verein Deutscher Ing. 80, 593 (1936).
- Langmuir I., “Report on Smokes and Filters,” U.S. Office of Scientific Research and Development Report No. 865, Part IV (1942).
- Happel J., “Viscous Flow Relative to Arrays of Cylinders,” AIChE J. 5, 174 (1959).
- Kuwabara S., “The Forces Experienced by Randomly Distributed Parallel Circular Cylinders or Spheres in Viscous Flow at Small Reynolds Numbers,” J. Phys. Soc. Japan 14, 527 (1959).
- Kirsch A. A. and Stechkina I. B., “The Theory of Aerosol Filtration with Fibrous Filters,” in “Fundamentals of Aerosol Science” Ed. Shaw D. T., John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1978.
- Groblicki P. J. and Begeman C. R., “Particle Size Variation in Diesel Car Exhaust,” SAE Paper 790421, presented at SAE Congress and Exposition, Detroit, February 26 - March 2, 1979.
- Löffler F., “Collection of Particles by Fiber Filters,” in “Air Pollution Control,” Part I, Ed. Strauss W., Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1971.
- Fuchs N. A., “The Mechanics of Aerosols,” Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1964.
- Raabe O. G., “Particle Size Analysis Utilizing Grouped Data and the Log-Normal Distribution,” Aerosol Science 2, 289 (1971).
- Abramowitz M. and Stegun I. A., “Handbook of Mathematical Functions,” Dover Publications, New York, 1965.
- MacDonald J. S., Plee S. L., D'Arcy J. B. and Schreck R. M., “Experimental Measurements of the Independent Effects of Dilution Ratio and Filter Temperature on Diesel Exhaust Particulate Samples,” SAE Paper 800185, presented at SAE Congress and Exposition, Detroit, February 25-29, 1980.
- Liu B. Y. H., Pui D. Y. H. and Kapadia A., “Electrical Aerosol Analyzer: Principle and Data Reduction,” presented at Aerosol Measurement Workshop, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, March 1976.