This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimal Closed-Loop Spark Control of an Automotive Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This work concerns the application of optimization theory to develop control laws for use in Closed-loop control strategies to minimize the effect of environmental changes, manufacturing tolerances, and time degradation. The paper describes the acquisition of engine mapping data for a 2.3L, 4 cylinder engine, the use of the data to develop analytical functions describing the fuel consumption and emissions, and the use of the functions in an optimization procedure to arrive at control strategies and driving cycle predictions of fuel consumption and emissions. The optimum schedules were then used to determine a closed-loop spark control strategy which yielded a 2% improvement in fuel economy over the open-loop control when the relative humidity was 75% at 90°F.
CitationGlaser, I. and Powell, J., "Optimal Closed-Loop Spark Control of an Automotive Engine," SAE Technical Paper 810058, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/810058.
Electronic Engine Management and Driveline Control Systems
Number: SP-0481 ; Published: 1981-03-01
Number: SP-0481 ; Published: 1981-03-01
- Bayler T. and Eder L., “impact of Diagnostic Inspection on Automotive Fuel Economy and Emissions,” SAE Paper No. 780028, Feb. 1978.
- Walker D.L. et al., “How Passenger Car Maintainance Affects Fuel Economy and Emissions-A Nationwide Survey,” SAE Paper No. 780032, Feb., 1978.
- Cackette T., Lorang P. and Hughes D., “The Need for Inspection and Maintainance for Current and Future Motor Vehicles,” SAE Paper No. 790782, Aug. 1979.
- Wrausmann R.C. and Smith R.J., “An Approach to Altitude Compensation of the Carburetor,” SAE Paper No. 760286, Feb. 1976.
- Ostrouchov N., “Effect of Cold Weather on Motor Vehicle Emissions and Fuel Consumption-II,” SAE Paper No. 790229, Feb., 1979.
- Hubbard M., Dobson P.D. and Powell J.D., “Closed-Loop Control of Internal Combustion Engine Efficiency and Exhaust Emissions,” SUDAAR #493, Final Report, 1975.
- Draper C.S. and Lik Y.T, “Principles of Optimalizing Control Systems and an Application to the Internal Combustion Engine,” ASME Publication, Sept, 1951.
- Schweitzer P.H., Volz C. and DeLuca F., “Control System to Optimize Engine Power,” SAE Paper No. 660022.
- Schweitzer P.H., Volz C. and DeLuca F., “Adaptive Control for Prime Movers,” ASME Winter Annual Meeting, Nov., 1967.
- Schweitzer P.H., “Control of Exhaust Pollution Through a Mixture Optimizer,” SAE Paper No. 720254.
- Schweitzer P.H., “Electronic Optimizer Control for I.C. Engine-Most MPG for any MPH,” SAE Paper No. 750370.
- Currie J.H, Grossman D.S., Gumbleton J.J., “Energy Conservation with Increased CompressionRatio and Electronic Knock Control,” SAE Paper No. 790173.
- McDonald W.R., “Feedback Carburetor Control Electronic Design for Improved System Performance,” SAE Paper No. 780654, 1978.
- Leshner M.D., Stuart J.W. and Leshner E., “Closed-Loop Control for Adaptive Lean Limit Operation,” SAE Paper No. 780039, Feb., 1978,
- Powell J.D, Randall K.W. and Hosey R., “Closed Loop Control of Automotive Engines,” SUDAAR #509, Feb. 1978, Final Report.
- Powell J.D. and Randall K.W., “Closed Loop Control of Internal Combustion Engine Efficiency and Exhaust Emissions,” SUDAAR #503, May 1976, Final Report.
- Hubbard M. and Powell J.D., “Closed-Loop Control of Internal Combustion Engine Exhaust Emissions,” Final Rept. for Dept. of Transportation, DOT-TST-75-62 (also published as SUDAAR #473, Aero/Astro Dept., Stanford Univ., 1974).
- Hubbard M., “Application of Automatic Control to Internal Combustion Engine,” Ph.D. Dissertation, Stanford Univ., May, 1975.
- Hosey R.J., Powell J.D., “Closed-Loop Knock Adaptive Spark Timing Control Based on Cylinder Pressure,” Transaction of the ASME; J. Dynamic Sys., Meas, &Contr., Vol. 101, pp. 64-70, March, 1979.
- Glaser I., “Optimal Closed-Loop Control of An Internal Combustion Engine,” Ph.D. Dissertation, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Stanford Univ., June 1980.
- Baker R.E. and Daby E.E., “Engine Mapping Methodology,” SAE Paper No. 770077, Feb. 1977.
- Rishavy E.A. and Hamilton S.C., “Engine Control Optimization for Best Fuel Economy with Emission Constraints,” SAE Paper No. 770075, Feb. 1977,
- Trella T., “Spark Ignition Engine Fuel Economy Control Optimization Techniques and Procedures,” SAE Paper No. 790179, Feb., 1979.
- Rao H.S, Powell J.D. et al., “Development and Validation of Engine Models via Automated Dynamometer Tests,” SAE Paper No. 79178, Feb. 1978.
- Cassidy J.F., “A Computerized On-line Approach to Calculating Optimum Engine Calibrations”, SAE Paper No. 77007B, Feb. 28, 1977.
- Rao H.S. et al., “Engine Control Optimization via Nonlinear Programming,” SAE Paper No. 790177, Feb. 1979.