This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CRC Investigates Cool-Weather Driveability and Customer Satisfaction
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1980 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In early 1978, the Coordinating Research Council (CRC) conducted a program to investigate customer opinions of vehicle driveability during cool-weather, 30 to 70°F. About 100 owners of 1973-′78 model vehicles participated in the program and frequently completed a questionnaire about the driveability of their vehicle. For comparison, trained raters also evaluated the driveability of these vehicles. Results show that hesitation is the most frequent driveability problem in customer service and stalls while driving are the most objectionable. Customers found driveability problems were noticeably affected by gasoline volatility and customer satisfaction varied from 62 to 93 percent with the fuels tested. The trained rater results confirm that the Drive-ability Index developed by CRC in 1972, can be used to relate customer opinions of drive-ability to changes in fuel volatility.
CitationLawrence, D., Williams, W., Robinson, J., and Heck, D., "CRC Investigates Cool-Weather Driveability and Customer Satisfaction," SAE Technical Paper 801350, 1980, https://doi.org/10.4271/801350.
- Coordinating Research Council “1972 CRC Intermediate Temperature Driveability Program--Paso Robles,” CRC Report No. 483 December 1975
- Coordinating Research Council “Drive-ability Performance of 1975 Passenger Cars at Intermediate Ambient Temperatures--Paso Robles,” CRC Report No. 486 May 1976
- Coordinating Research Council “Drive-ability Performance of 1977 Passenger Cars at Intermediate Ambient Temperatures--Paso Robles,” CRC Report No. 499 September 1978
- Coordinating Research Council “Customer Perception of Cold Start and Warmup Driveability,” CRC Report No. 512 February 1980
- Ethyl Corporation Monthly Surveys of Commercial Gasoline Quality January 1977 July 1979