This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Occupant Velocity Change in Side Impact Method of Calculation-Application to a Sample of Real-World Crashes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1980 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
So far, analysis of real-world crashes has not made it possible to evaluate the occupant change of velocity in side impact. This change of velocity is the most pertinent of the lateral-collision violence parameters when occupants are exposed to intrusion by car bodies.
The present paper describes a method for calculating this parameter, and includes a description of the data that must be collected concerning real-world crashes in order to enable its application.
The validity of this method is demonstrated by its application to a series of experimental collisions. The results are highly correlated to the values resulting from the integration of the accelerations found for the pelvis and thorax.
The method is then applied to 60 real-world car-to-car side collisions from the accident survey. The AISs for the pelvis and thorax of the car occupants involved are much more closely related to the occupant ΔV calculated, on the one hand, for the pelvis and, on the other hand, for the thorax, than they are to the ΔV of the car and to impact velocity.
Lastly, for the given occupant ΔV values, correspondences are established between the acceleration levels found with the Hybrid II dummy and the degree of severity of the injuries sustained by living individuals and by cadavers.
|Technical Paper||Protection of Car Occupants Against Side Impacts|
|Technical Paper||Crash Pulse Characterization to Minimize Occupant Injuries in Offset Frontal Crash|
- J. Y. Foret-Bruno - Laboratoire de Physiologie et de Biomécanique, Association Peugeot S.A. - Renault, France
- F. Hartemann - Laboratoire de Physiologie et de Biomécanique, Association Peugeot S.A. - Renault, France
- C. Thomas - Laboratoire de Physiologie et de Biomécanique, Association Peugeot S.A. - Renault, France
- C. Tarrière - Laboratoire de Physiologie et de Biomécanique, Association Peugeot S.A. - Renault, France
- B. Loyat
- G. Stcherbatcheff
- C. Got - Institut de Recherches Orthopédiques, Hôpital Raymond Poincaré - Garches, France
- A. Patel - Institut de Recherches Orthopédiques, Hôpital Raymond Poincaré - Garches, France
CitationForet-Bruno, J., Hartemann, F., Thomas, C., Tarrière, C. et al., "Occupant Velocity Change in Side Impact Method of Calculation-Application to a Sample of Real-World Crashes," SAE Technical Paper 801308, 1980, https://doi.org/10.4271/801308.
- Appel H. Hofmann J. “Accident Analysis of Vehicle Side Collisions” IRCOBI Berlin Sept. 1977
- Lachmann P. “Car-to-Car Side Collision. A Comparison of Accident Analysis and Research Work” IRCOBI Berlin 1977
- Danner J.M. “Accident and Injury Characteristics in Side Collisions and Protection Criteria in Respect of Belted Occupants” 21st Stapp Car Crash Conference SAE 1977
- Hartemann F. Thomas C. Foret-Bruno J.Y. Henry C. Fayon A. Tarriere C. “Occupant Protection in Lateral Impact” SAE, 20th Stapp Car Crash Conference 1976
- Cesari D. Ramet M. Herry-Martin D. “Injury Mechanism in Side Impact” SAE 22nd Stapp Car Crash Conference 1978
- Burgett A. Hackney J.R. “Status of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Research and Rulemaking Activities for Upgrading Side-Impact Protection” 7th ESV Conference Paris June 1979
- Hartemann F. Foret-Bruno J.Y. Thomas C. Tarriere C. Got C. Patel A. “Influence of Mass Ratio and Structural Compatibility on the Severity of Injuries Sustained by the Near-Side Occupants in Car-to-Car Collisions” SAE 791 010 23rd Stapp Car Crash Conference 1979
- Strother C.E. Morgan R.M. “A Fundamental Look at Side Impact” Proceedings of 23rd Annual Meeting of American Association for Automotive Medicine October 1979
- Ventre P. Provensal J. Stcherbatcheff G. “Development of Protection Systems for Lateral Impacts” SAE 790 710 Passenger Car Meeting Dearborn June 1979
- Walfisch G. Fayon A. Tarrière C. Got C. Patel A. Travaux Effectués pour Disposer d'un Mannequin et Critères Convenables pour Améliorer la Protection en Choc Latéral” S.I.A. March 1979
- Stalnaker R.L. Tarriére C. Fayon A. Walfisch G. Balthazard M. Masset J. Got C. Patel A. “Modification of Part 572 Dummy for Lateral Impact According to Biomechanical Data” SAE 791 031 23rd Stapp Car Crash Conference 1979
- Padgaonkar A.J. Prasad P. “Simulation of Side Impact Using the CAL 3 D Occupant Simulation Model” SAE 791 007 23 rd Stapp Car Crash Conference 1979
- Seiffert U. Weissner R. Börsch F. “Lateral and Oblique Impact Influence on vehicle and Occupant Protection” IRCOBI Berlin Sept. 1977
- Loyat B. “Analyse des Paramètres Significatifs du Choc Lateral” S.I.A. March 1979
- Seiffert U. “Report on Lateral Collision Tests, C.C.M.C., Crashworthiness Working Group” ESV Conference Paris June 1979
- Loyat B. “Protection for Side Impact” ESV Conference Paris June 1979