This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Maintenance Program Analysis for Aircraft Structures of the 80s: MSG-3
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1980 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper outlines and explains the history, philosophy, and procedures of aircraft structures maintenance program analysis contained in the recently published Air Transport Association of America document entitled Airline/Manufacturer Maintenance Program Planning Document - MSG-3.
Some of the details developed are the relationship of the scheduled structural maintenance program to the consequences of structural item functional failure, the structure's susceptibility to damage, and the degree of difficulty involved in detecting such damage. The “MSG-3 Structural Maintenance Program Development Logic” is provided to show how each of the deterioration sources (fatigue, environmental, and accidental damage) are assessed separately to provide a structural inspection program for the timely detection of any distress. The implementation of the MSG-3 process through the Maintenance Review Board activity is also discussed. In general, the paper describes the documented procedures for developing a detailed maintenance program for structures which complies with the guidelines of Federal Aviation Administration Advisory Circular 25.571-1.
|Technical Paper||An Introduction to MSG-3|
|Technical Paper||Certification of Composites for Commercial Aircraft|
|Aerospace Standard||Thread Inspection Practices|
CitationEdwards, T. and Wilson, R., "Maintenance Program Analysis for Aircraft Structures of the 80s: MSG-3," SAE Technical Paper 801214, 1980, https://doi.org/10.4271/801214.
- “Aeronautical Bulletin 7E,” May 15 1930
- “Civil Air Regulations 4b, Amend. 3,” 1956
- “Federal Aviation Regulation 25.571, .573.”
- “Advisory Circular AC-No. 121-22,” Department of Transportation, Federal Aviation Administration, Maintenance Review Board (MRB) January 12 1977
- “Handbook: Maintenance Evaluation and Planning Development: Maintenance Steering Group (MSG-1),” Air Transport Association July 1968
- “Airline/Manufacturer Maintenance Program Planning Document, MSG-2,” R&M Subcommittee, Air transport Association March 25 1970
- “Airline /Manufacturer Maintenance Program Planning Document: MSG-3,” Air Transport Association October 1980
- “Federal Aviation Act,” 1958
- “Advisory Circular AC-No 25.571-1, Damage Tolerance and Fatigue Evaluation of Structure,” Department of Transportation, Federal Aviation Administration September 28 1978
- “Federal Aviation Regulation 121.363.”
- “Advisory Circular AC-No 120-17A, Maintenance Control by Reliability Methods,” Department of Transportation, Federal Aviation Administration March 27 1978
- Craig L. E. Goranson U. G. “Airworthiness Assessment of Boeing Jet Transport Structures,” International Committee of Aeronautical Fatigue, 10th ICAF Symposium May 16, 1979
- Goranson U. G. Hall John “Airworthiness of Long-Life Jet Transport Structures,” The Royal Aeronautical Society Convention May 14 1980