This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of a Low Sulfate Emission Control System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 01, 1980 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The possibility of high sulfate emissions from future emission control systems prompted an evaluation of a low sulfate system designed to meet 1981 emission standards. An air injected oxidation catalyst was added to a Volvo “Lambda-Sond” emission control system. After baseline determination of gaseous and sulfate emissions, the air injection system was modified to reduce sulfates. Optimization tests determined the best air injection schedule for sufficient CO control while limiting sulfate production. A sulfate reduction of 99 percent was achieved. The system was then durability tested for 64,400 km.
CitationIngalls, M. and Bruetsch, R., "Evaluation of a Low Sulfate Emission Control System," SAE Technical Paper 800821, 1980, https://doi.org/10.4271/800821.
- Gentel J. E. Manar O. J. Valenta J. C. “Characterization of Particulate and Other Non Regulated Emissions from Mobile Sources and the Effect of Exhaust Emissions Control Devices on These Emissions.” March 1973
- Bradow R. L. Carpenter, D. A. et al “Sulfate Emissions From Catalyst and Non-Catalyst Equipped Automobiles.” SAE Paper 740528 October 1974
- Moran J. B. “Issue Paper: Estimated Public Health Impact as a Result of Equipping Light-Duty Motor Vehicles with Oxidation Catalyst.” January 1975
- Bradow R. L. Moran J. B. “Sulfate Emissions from Catalyst Cars: A Review.” SAE Paper 750090 February 1975
- Somers J. H. Garbe R. J. Fett C. E. Baines T. M. “Automotive Sulfate Emissions, A Baseline Study.” Presented at the American Chemical Society Meeting San Francisco, California August 1976
- Kawecki J. M. “Emission of Sulfur-Bearing Compounds from Motor Vehicles and Aircraft Engines, A Report to Congress” August 1978
- van der Zijden M. J. van Hinte J. E. van der Ende J. C. “SO 2 and SO 3 in Exhaust Gases of Internal-Combustion Engines.” Journal of the Institute of Petroleum 36 1950 561
- Ingalls M. N. Springer K. J. “Measurement of Sulfate and Sulfur Dioxide in Automotive Exhaust.” August 1976
- June 28 1978
- Ingalls M. N. “Durability Demonstration of Systems for Control of Sulfuric Acid.”
- Bradow R. L. Carpenter, D. A. et al “Sulfate Emissions from Catalyst and Non-Catalyst Cars.” SAE Paper No. 740528 October 1974
- Engh G. T. Wallman S. “Development of the Volvo Lambda-Sond System,” SAE Paper 770295 February 1977
- Hummel J. A. “Changes in Automotive Sulfate Emissions with Extended Mileage,” January 1979
- Krause B. Boufford, R. A. et al “Critical Factors Affecting Automotive Sulfate Emissions,” SAE Paper 760091 February 1976