This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Trouble and Countermeasure of Seals for Automotive Application —Part II
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1980 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to improve the reliability of seals for automotive application in practical use, it is considered that further basic investigations concerning sealing characteristics of seals are necessary. However, it has been found, from analyzing seals decided in the market as defective parts, that the troubles of seals in the market are mainly caused by both wrong handling for seals and the use under wrong operating condition which has not been expected by manufacturers of seals.
Therefore, in order to improve the reliability of seals, it is important to investigate in detail troubles on functional characteristics of seals and their countermeasures. In this paper, on oil seals, O-rings, water pump seals and dust cover seals as seals for automotive application, the results of investigations are discussed.
CitationHirabayashi, H., Ohtaki, M., Yukimasa, T., and lida, S., "Trouble and Countermeasure of Seals for Automotive Application —Part II," SAE Technical Paper 800530, 1980, https://doi.org/10.4271/800530.
- Hirabayashi, H. Yukimasa T. Uchino, K. “Effect of quantity of lubricating oil on sealing characteristics of oil seals” SAE Paper No. 78406 1978 1 14
- Hirabayashi, H. Yukimasa T. Uchino, K. “Effect of foreign matters on sealing characteristics of oil seals” SAE Paper No. 770175 1977 1 12
- Matsushima, A. “Guide to automotive water pump seals” SAE Paper No. 780404 1978 1 12
- Hirabayashi H. Terai, K. “A study of dust cover seals for ball joint application” SAE Paper No. 770176 1977 1 12
- Hirano F. Kawahara, Y. “A study on the characteristics of O-ring for reciprocating motion” Junkatsu (JSLE) 14 No. 5 1969 264 270
- Hirabayashi, H. Ohtaki M. Tanoue, H. “Troubles and countermeasures on oil seals for automotive application” SAE Paper No. 790346 1979 1 20
- “Seals - Application guide to radial lip - SAE J946c ” Nonmetallic Materials Committee Transmission and Drivetrain Committee October 1976
- The Oil Seal Division of the Rubber Manufacturers Association “Visual variations guide for rotating shaft seals” RMA Handbook 1977 1 24
- The oil Seal Division of the Rubber Manufacturers Association “Storage and handling guide for radial lip type shaft seals” RMA Technical Bulletin 1973 1 4
- SAE Engine Committee “Water pump seals” SAE J780, SAE Standard approved June 1963 and reaffirmed without change October 1969
- SAE Transmission and Drivetrain Committee “Guide to the application and use of water pump face seals” 1977 1 29
- Symons, J. D. “Factors contributing to the water pump seal leakage problem” GMR Publication 1974 1 83
- Hirabayashi, H. Ishiwata H. Kato, Y. “Excessive abrasion of mechanical seal caused by salt solutions” Proceedings of 3rd International Conference on Fluid Sealing, Organized by B.H.R.A., Paper Bl April 1967 B1-1 12
- Hirabayashi, H. Oka K. Ishiwata, H. “The relationship between ringing, heat transfer and sealing condition of mechanical seals” Proceedings of 4th International Conference on Fluid Sealing, organized by B.H.R.A., paper 13 1969 115 123