This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparison Tests Between Major European Automotive Wind Tunnels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1980 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Comparative aerodynamic force measurements on a full scale notchback type vehicle have been performed between six European companies operating prominent full scale automotive wind tunnel facilities. The results obtained with 8 different vehicle configurations show a remarkably good correlation between the drag coefficients measured in the various wind tunnels. Pressure distributions also show an acceptable agreement. The comparison of front axle lift measurements revealed differences between the various wind tunnels; these differences are partly explainable. Six component measurements also show a satisfactory correlation between the various wind tunnels except where lift does contribute to the forces or moments. Suggestions to extend these correlation tests are presented.
CitationBuchheim, R., Unger, R., Carr, G., Cogotti, A. et al., "Comparison Tests Between Major European Automotive Wind Tunnels," SAE Technical Paper 800140, 1980, https://doi.org/10.4271/800140.
- Buchheim R. Piatek R. Walzer P. “Contribution of Aerodynamics to Fuel Economy Improvements for Future Passenger Cars” First International Automotive Fuel Economy Conference Washington Oct./Nov. 79
- USA Federal Register 43
- Mörchen, W. “The Climatic Wind Tunnel of Volkswagenwerk AG” SAE-Paper 680 120, Detroit 1968
- Fosberry R.A.C. White R.G.S. “The MIRA Full Scale Wind Tunnel”
- Kuhn A. “Der große Daimler-Benz Windkanal”
- Antonucci, A. Ceronetti, G. Costelli, A. “Aerodynamic and Climatic Wind Tunnels in the FIAT Research Center” SAE-Paper 770 392, Detroit 1977
- Morelli A. “The New Pininfarina Wind Tunnel for Full Scale Automobile Testing” Advances in Road Aerodynamics, published by the British Hydromechanics Research Ass. Cranfield, U.K 1973 335 366
- Christensen, F.M. “Die Klima-Versuchs-anlage von Volvo” ATZ Automobiltechnische Zeitschrift 75 1973 42 45
- Hucho, W.-H. Janssen, L.J. Schwarz, G. “The Wind Tunnel’s Ground Plane Boundary Layer - Its Interference with the Flow underneath Cars” SAE-Paper 750 066, Detroit 1975
- Dryden H.J. Schubauer G.B. “Measurements of Intensity and Scale of Wind Tunnel Turbulence and their Relation of the critical Reynolds Number of Spheres” 1937
- Cogotti A. Buchheim R. Garrone A. Kuhn A. “Comparison Tests between some Full-Scale European Automotive Wind Tunnels. Pininfarina Reference Gar” To be presented at SAE Conference Febr. 1980