This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Theoretical Prediction of Test Variable Effects, Including Twin-Rolls, on Rolling Resistance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1980 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A Deflected Tire/Rolling Resistance computer model to simulate free-rolling of a belted radial automobile tire against a flat surface is reviewed. The contact conditions are then extended to include rolling against a test wheel, and the effects of load, deflection, inflation pressure, and test-wheel curvature are investigated. The analyses are restricted to isothermal at 25°C. Both the tire force and their contribution to rolling are examined. The investigation with an analysis of free-rolling twin-rolls, predicting gross of flat-surface and conventional test-wheel results.
CitationKlingbeil, W., "Theoretical Prediction of Test Variable Effects, Including Twin-Rolls, on Rolling Resistance," SAE Technical Paper 800088, 1980, https://doi.org/10.4271/800088.
- “Tire Rolling Losses and Fuel Economy - An R&D Planning Work Shop” SAE Conference Proceedings P-74, Transportation Systems Center Cambridge, Mass. October 18–20 1977
- Böhm, F. “Mechanics of the Belted Tire” U. of Mich., College of Eng. Ann Arbor February 1967
- Lippmann, S. A. Oblizajek, K. L. “The Distributions of Stress between the Tread and the Road for Freely Rolling Tires” SAE 740072 , Automotive Eng. Congress February 25 – March 1 1974
- Lippmann, S. A. Oblizajek, K. L. Metters, J. J. “Sources of Rolling Resistance in Radial Ply Tires” SAE 780258 , Automotive Eng. Congress February 27 – March 3 1978
- Priss, L.S. “Untersuchung des Verhaltens von Reifen-Vulkanisatin bei mehrfacher Deformation” Kaut. und Gummi Kunst. 19 10 1966
- Payne A. R. “Dynamic Properties of Filler-Loaded Rubbers” Kraus Go “Reinforcement of Elastomers” Interscience 1965
- Po Gorskaya L. Pugin V.A. “Calculation of Energy Losses in Tyre Components under Rolling” International Rubber Conference, Section B-1 Kiev 1978
- Tarpinian, H. D. Nybakken, G. H. Mishory, J. “A Fuel Saving Passenger Tire” SAE 790726 , Passenger Car Meeting, Dearborn June 11–15 1979
- Trivisonno, N. M. “Thermal Analysis of a Rolling Tire” SAE 700474 , Midyear Meeting, Detroit May 18–22 1970
- Kainradl, P. Kaufmann, G. “Heat Generation in Pneumatic Tires” Rubber Chem. Technol. 49 823 1976
- Clark S. K. “Rolling Resistance Forces in Pneumatic Tires” January 1976
- Clark, S. K. “Rolling Resistance of Pneumatic Tires” Tire Science and Technology 6 3 August 1978