This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Electric Vehicle AC Drive Development
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1980 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An improved drive system, which will result in lighter weight, higher efficiency and lower cost for an electric vehicle, is being developed. A study evaluating the suitability of alternative motor and power converter technologies for electric vehicle application was performed. The results indicate that an ac induction motor with a transistor inverter has the greatest potential. Not only will this drive system provide greater vehicle range, but it will also provide improved regeneration to the battery.
|Technical Paper||The Drive System of the DOE Near-Term Electric Vehicle (ETV-1)|
|Technical Paper||Hybrid Power Supplies of Electro-Mobiles|
CitationPlunkett, A. and Kliman, G., "Electric Vehicle AC Drive Development," SAE Technical Paper 800061, 1980, https://doi.org/10.4271/800061.
- Cornell, E. P. Guess, R. H. Turnbull, F. G. “Advanced Motor Developments for Electric Vehicles,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology VT–26 2 May 1977
- Bausch H. Kobler, H. J. “Magnetic Fields in Traction Machines for Electric Cars,” Proceedings of the International Conference on Electrical Machines Brussels September 1978
- Plunkett A. B. “A Current-Controlled PWM Transistor Inverter Drive,” Conference Record, IEEE/IAS October 1977
- Kliman G. B. Plunkett, A. B. “Development of a Modulation Strategy for a PWM Inverter Drive,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications IA–15 1 January/February 1979
- Plunkett A. B. Plette, D. L. “Inverter-Induction Motor Drive for Transit Cars,” IEEE Transaction on Industry Applications IA–13 1 January/February 1977
- Maag R. B. “Characteristics and Application of CurrentSource/Slip Regulated AC Induction Motor Drives,” IEEE/IAS Annual Meeting, Cleveland, Conference Record October 1971
- Steigerwald R. L. Lipa T. A. “Analysis of a Novel Force-Commutation Starting Scheme for a Load Commutated Synchronous Motor Drive,” IEEE/IAS Conference Record October 1977
- Plunkett A. B. Turnbull, F. G. “System Design Method for a Load Commutated Inverter-Synchronous Motor Drive,” IEEE/IAS Annual Meeting Toronto October 1978
- Krishna S. Yerman A. J. “The Development of a Power Darlington Transistor and Hybrid Integrated Circuit for a DC-to-DC Converter,” Proceedings of the 10th annual PESC San Diego June 1979