This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Role of Oxygen in Intake and Exhaust on NO Emission, Smoke and BMEP of a Diesel Engine with EGR System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1980 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
EGR reduces NO emission, but increases smoke and decreases BMEP in diesel engines. This paper describes the relationships between these behaviors and the effect of decreased oxygen with EGR in direct injection, pre-chamber, and turbocharged diesel engines.
The results indicate that the reduction of NO depends on decreasing the rate of the incoming oxygen. The increase in smoke and the decrease in BMEP is due to a reduced rate of exhaust oxygen. Also the reduction of NO is due to increased ambient humidity which can be explained by the decreased oxygen in the incoming charge.
With these results, it becomes possible to predict the ratio of the reduction of NO emission, the increase in smoke and the decrease in BMEP.
|Journal Article||Diesel EGR Cooler Fouling|
|Technical Paper||Physicochemical Characteristics of Soot Deposits in EGR Coolers|
CitationTsunemoto, H. and Ishitani, H., "The Role of Oxygen in Intake and Exhaust on NO Emission, Smoke and BMEP of a Diesel Engine with EGR System," SAE Technical Paper 800030, 1980, https://doi.org/10.4271/800030.
- Ikegami, M. Kawai E. Kihara, Y. “Reducing Oxides of Nitrogen in a Diesel Engine of Exhaust Gas Recirculation” Trans. SAE of Japan No 5 1973
- Pischinger R. Cartellieri, W. “Combustion System Parameter and Their Effect upon Diesel Engine Exhaust Emissions” SAE paper 720756
- Parker R.F. Waker, J.W. “Exhaust Emission Control in Mediem Swirl Rate Direct Injection Diesel engines” SAE paper 720755
- Shahed, S.M. Chin W.S. Yumln, V.S. “A Preliminary Model for the Formation of Nitric Oxide in Direct Injection Diesel Engines and its Application in Parametric Studies” SAE paper 730083
- Hill S.H. Dobh, J.L. “A Low NO x Light Weight Car Diesel Engines” SAE paper 770430
- Amano, M. Sami, H. Nakagawa S. Yoshizaki, H. “Approaches to Low Emission Levels Light Duty Diesel Vehicles” SAE paper 760211
- Ohigashi S. Kuroda H. et. al. “Heat Capacity Change Predict Nitrogen Oxides Reduction by Exhaust Gas Recirculation” SAE paper 710010
- Tashiro M. Tsujimura, K. “Decreasing Methods of Exhaust Emissions for Diesel Engines” Internal Combustion Engine 11-11 1972
- Khan, I.M. Greeves G. wang C.H. T. “Factors Affecting Smoke and Gaseous Emissions from Direct Injection Diesel Engines and a Method of Calculation” SAE paper 730169