This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
New Method for Measurement of Engine Oil Consumption (S-Trace Method)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1979 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new method, the sulfur trace method (S-trace method), for measurement of engine oil consumption was investigated. This method uses the sulfur, naturally contained in the engine oil, as an oil tracer. This method could be developed with the use of sulfur-free fuel and with the establishment of an analytical technique to determine the trace amount of sulfur dioxide in the exhaust gas. Measuring with this method is more rapid than the drain-weigh method and without the use of the special equipment which is used for radioactive materials. This S-trace method requires about 20 minutes of engine operating time, and has a detection capability of 1 gram per hour. The coefficient of variation is better than 10% at the oil consumption level of 20 grams per hour. The results using this method are satisfactory and agree with the drain-weigh method or with the radiometric method.
Futhermore, with the application of the S-trace method, oil consumption of individual cylinders and oil consumption lost through either the valve guide assembly or the piston-cylinder assembly can be measured.
|Technical Paper||Measurement of Oil Consumption of Diesel Engine by S-Trace Method|
|Technical Paper||Friction Back Plate Design/Manufacturing/Quality - Key Attributes for Better Brake Performance|
CitationHanaoka, M., Ise, A., Nagasaka, N., Osawa, H. et al., "New Method for Measurement of Engine Oil Consumption (S-Trace Method)," SAE Technical Paper 790936, 1979, https://doi.org/10.4271/790936.
- Guinn V.P. Coit R.A. “Measuring Oil Consumption with Tritium Tracers” Nucleonics 17 12 1959 112
- Mayer W.S. Moore C.P. Krause C.P. Lange W.H. Murphy C.B. “Rapid, Precise Measurement of Engine Oil Economy by a Radiometric Method” SAE Paper 660058 1966
- Kawamoto J. Yamamoto M. Ito Y. “Continuous Measurement of Engine Oil Consumption Rate by the Use of 35 S Tracer” SAE Paper 740543 1974
- Mayer W.J. Krause D.P. Murphy C.B. “Oil Consumption Measurements of Individual Cylinders in Automotive Engines” SAE Paper 700055 1970
- Prostak A. “Sulfate Analysis by the Barium Perchlorate Titration and the BCA Method” SAE Paper 770065 1977
- ASTM D 2914 “Sulfur Dioxide Content of the Atmosphere (West-Gaeke Method)” 1970