This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of “Sour” Gasoline on Fuel Hose Rubber Materials
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1979 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Isolated fuel hose failures have been reported recently for cars equipped with electronic fuel injection systems. Although all of the factors responsible for failure are not known, “sour” or hydroperoxide-containing gasoline was suspected as being the main contributor. A study was undertaken, therefore, to determine the effect of “sour” gasoline on the tensile properties of fuel hose rubbers.
Fluorohydrocarbon rubbers exhibited outstanding resistance to attack and the lowest volume swell. Epichlorohydrin copolymer reverted as evidenced by extreme softening and various nitrile rubbers underwent additional vulcanization resulting in embrittlement.
Practical fluorohydrocarbon hoses have been constructed for the fuel injection system which resist degradation by “sour” gasoline.
|Technical Paper||Performance of Fuel-Resistant Elastomers in Alternate Fuels|
|Technical Paper||Low Gasoline Permeable Fuel Filler Hose|
CitationNersasian, A., "Effect of “Sour” Gasoline on Fuel Hose Rubber Materials," SAE Technical Paper 790659, 1979, https://doi.org/10.4271/790659.
- Nersasian A. “Effect of ‘Sour’ Gasoline on Rubber Hose” Preliminary Report, Rubber and Plastics News 14 16 June 26 1978
- Solomon D. H. “The Chemistry of Organic Film Formers” New York John Wiley and Sons 37 38 47 50 54 1967
- Waters W. A. “The Chemistry of Free Radicals” London Oxford University Press 144 240 245 1948
- Shahani C. J. Baer N. S. Low M. J. D. “Linseed Oil-Metal Acetylacetonate Systems” J. Coatings Tech. 54 61 March 1978
- Hock H. Kropf H. “Über die Autoxydation von Cumol in Gegenwart von Bleidioxyd” J. Pr. Chem. 6 120 128 1958
- Polss P. “What Additives Do For Gasoline” Hydrocarbon Processing Feb. 1973
- Hawkins E. G. E. “Organic Peroxides” New York D. Van Nostrand and Co., Inc. 107 1961
- Dyer E. Carle K. E. Weiman D. E. “Effect of Cobaltous 2-Ethylhexanoate and Other Salts on the Decomposition of Tetralin Hydroperoxide” J. Org. Chem. 23 1464 1469 1957
- Knox R. E. Nersasian A. “VITON®: A High Performance Fluorocarbon Elastomer for Use in Hostile Environments” SAE paper No. 770867 1977
- Dunn J. R. Pfisterer H. A. Ridland J. J. “NBR Vulcanizates Resistant to High Temperatures and ‘Sour’ Gasoline” 114th Rubber Division Meeting Am. Chem. Soc. Boston October 10-13 1978