This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Review of Curtiss-Wright Rotary Engine Developments with Respect to General Aviation Potential
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1979 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Relevant Rotary Engine developments at Curtiss-Wright over the period 1958-1979 are reviewed. Applicable automotive engine developments, including Stratified Charge, flight test results and future projections are presented. The current 300 HP aircraft engine prototype development status is discussed relative to application of parallel direct injected unthrottled Stratified Charge technology gains which demonstrated automotive diesel engine fuel consumption levels, low emissions and multi-fuel operation in other Rotary engine models.
CitationJones, C., "A Review of Curtiss-Wright Rotary Engine Developments with Respect to General Aviation Potential," SAE Technical Paper 790621, 1979, https://doi.org/10.4271/790621.
- Jones Charles, “The Curtiss-Wright Rotating Combustion Engines Today”. SAE Transactions 1965, Vol. 73, Paper No. 886d.
- Jones Charles, “New Rotating Combustion Powerplant Development”. SAE Transactions 1966, Vol. 74, Paper No. 640723.
- Jones Charles, “The Rotating Combustion Engine - Compact, Lightweight Power for Aircraft”. SAE Transaction 1966, Vol. 76, Paper No. 670194.
- Cole David E. and Charles Jones, “Reduction of Emissions from the Curtiss-Wright's Rotating Combustion Engine with an Exhaust Reactor”. SAE Transactions 1970, Vol. 79, Paper No. 700074.
- Figart W. T., Leisenring R. L. and Silvestri W. B., “The RC Engine - A New Approach to Reduce Costs”. SAE Paper No. 700273, presented at SAE National Air Transportation Meeting, April, 1970.
- Jones Charles and Lamping Harold, “Curtiss-Wright's Development Status of the Stratified Charge Rotating Combustion Engine”. SAE Transactions 1971, Vol. 80, Paper No. 710582.
- Jones Charles, “A Survey of Curtiss-Wright's 1958-1971 Rotating Combustion Engine Technological Developments”. Paper No. 720468, presented at the National Automobile Engineering Meeting, Detroit, Michigan, May, 1972.
- Jones Charles, “Development of the Rotary Engine”, presented at the Rotary Engine Symposium, Detroit, Michigan, November 1973 SME Paper No. MM73-650.
- Lamping H. D., Galliers M. W., and Wolosin S. W., “Rotary Combustion Engine Trochoid Coatings and Seals”. SAE Paper No. 741043, presented at SAE Automobile Engineering Meeting, October, 1974.
- Jones Charles, “A Progress Report on Curtiss-Wright's Rotary Stratified Charge Engine Development”. SAE Paper No. 741206, Presented at SAE International Stratified Charge Engine Conference, October 1974.
- Jones Charles, Lamping Harold D., Myers David M., Loyd Robert W., “An Update of the Direct Injected Stratified Charge Rotary Combustion Engine Developments at Curtiss-Wright.” SAE Transactions 1977, Vol. 86, Paper No. 770044.
- Ward, H. M. II, Griffith M. J., Miller G. E., and Stephenson D. K., “Outboard Marine Corp.'s Production Rotary Combustion Snowmobile Engine,” SAE Paper No. 730119, Presented at the International Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, Michigan, 1973.
- Yamamoto Kenichi and Muroki Takumi, “Development on Exhaust Emissions and Fuel Economy of the Rotary Engine at Toyo Kogyo” SAE Paper 780417, presented at SAE Congress and Exposition Cobo Hall, Detroit, Feb/Mar. 1978.
- van Basshuysen Richard and Wilmers Gottlieb, “An Update of the Development on the New Audi NSU Rotary Engine Generation”. SAE Paper No. 780418, presented at SAE Congress and Exposition Cobo Hall, Detroit, Feb./Mar. 1978.
- Tierney W. T., Mitchell E., and Alperstefn M., “The Texaco Controlled-Combustion System, A Stratified Charge Concept, Review and Current Status”, presented at the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Powerplants and Future Fuels Meeting, January, 1975.
- Alperstein M., Schafer G. H., and Villforth, F. J. III, “Texaco's Stratified Charge Engine-Multifuel, Efficient, Clean, and Practical”. SAE Paper No. 740563, presented at Southern California Section Meeting, May 1974.
- Tierney W. T., Johnson E. M. and Crawford N. R., “Energy Conservation of the Vehicle-Fuel-Refinery System”. SAE Paper No. 750673, presented at the Fuels and Lubricants Meeting, June 1975.
- Tierney W. T. and Wilson R. F., “Adequate Future Transporation Demands Vehicle-Fuel-Refinery System Optimization Today”, presented at the API Michigan Meeting, January 1976.
- Ciccarone A., Antonini C. and Virgilio U., “Fuel Consumption in European Passenger Cars Powered by Gasoline, Diesel, and Direct Injection Stratified Charge Engines”. SAE Paper No. 760796, presented at Automobile Engineering Meeting, October 1976.
- Hurkamp C. H., Johnston W. M., and Wilson J. H., “Technology Assessment of Advanced General Aviation Aircraft,” Report Nos. NASA CR-114338 and NASA CR-114339, prepared under Contract No. NASA 2-5972 by Lockheed-Georgia Company for NASA, June 1971.
- Berkowitz M., Hermes W. L., Mount R. E. and Myers D. M., “Performance, Emissions, and Physical Characteristics of a Rotating Combustion Aircraft Engine” Report No. NASA CR-135119, prepared under contract No. NAS3-20030 by Curtiss-Wright Corporation for NASA, December 1976.