This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion (ATAC) - A New Combustion Process for Internal Combustion Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1979 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new lean combustion process for internal combustion engines has been developed. This newly devised combustion system, designated as “Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion” (ATAC), differs from conventional gasoline and diesel engine combustion processes.
ATAC can be applied most easily to two-stroke cycle gasoline engines. Stable combustion can be achieved with lean mixtures at part-throttle operation. With ATAC the fuel consumption and exhaust emissions of two-stroke cycle spark-ignition engines are remarkably improved, and noise and vibration are reduced.
- Shigeru Onishi - Nippon Clean Engine Research Institute Co., Ltd.
- Souk Hong Jo - Nippon Clean Engine Research Institute Co., Ltd.
- Katsuji Shoda - Nippon Clean Engine Research Institute Co., Ltd.
- Pan Do Jo - Nippon Clean Engine Research Institute Co., Ltd.
- Satoshi Kato - Nippon Clean Engine Research Institute Co., Ltd.
CitationOnishi, S., Jo, S., Shoda, K., Jo, P. et al., "Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion (ATAC) - A New Combustion Process for Internal Combustion Engines," SAE Technical Paper 790501, 1979, https://doi.org/10.4271/790501.
- Nakahara K. Fujita H. Hatta K. “A Study of Abnormal Combustion of Crankcase Compression Type Two-Stroke Gasoline Engine at High Speed Partial Load.” Trans. of JSME 41 341 Jan. 1975
- Yamada H. Matsuoka S. “On the Combustion Fluctuation of Crankcase Compression Two-Stroke Gasoline Engine.” 44th Kansai District Congress of JSME March 1969
- Yui S. Ohnishi S. “A New Concept of Stratified Charge Two Stroke Engine - Yui and Ohnishi Combustion Process (YOCP).” SAE Paper 690468 May 19 - 23 1969
- Jo S. H. Jo P. D. Gomi T. Ohnishi S. “Development of a Low-Emission and High-Performance 2-Stroke Gasoline Engine (NiCE).” SAE Paper 730463 May 14 - 18 1973
- Ohnishi S. “A New Combustion Method of Two-Stroke Engine.” A Fundamental Study on the Automobile Emission Control Education Ministry of Japan Dec. 22 1976
- Noguchi M. Tanaka Y. Tanaka T. Takeuchi Y. “An Analysis of Combustion in Gasoline Engine.” Congress of JSAE 782 Oct. 1978