This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Detection and Instrumental Analysis of Diesel Engine Exhaust Gas Odorants-A New Approach to an Old Problem
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1979 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An advanced and highly efficient analytical procedure enables the detection, quantitative determination and clarification of the category and molecular structure of those odorants, which are responsible for the exhaust gas odor from internal combustion engines.
In the forseeable future this method will give the knowledge about the formation mechanism of odorants for the development of directive measures to reduce the formation of odorants or eliminating them.
Furthermore, this procedure will help to determine which selected odorants groups should be measured to get a representative conclusion about exhaust gas odor.
CitationDaudel, H., Fieber, M., Murthy, D., and Hardenberg, H., "Detection and Instrumental Analysis of Diesel Engine Exhaust Gas Odorants-A New Approach to an Old Problem," SAE Technical Paper 790489, 1979, https://doi.org/10.4271/790489.
- Arthur D. Little Inc. “Chemical Identification of the Odor Components in Diesel Engine Exhaust.” Final Report (Year 3) to CRC and EPA June 1971
- Levins P.L. Kendall D.A. Caragay A.B. Leonardos G. Oberholtzer J.E. “Chemical Analysis of Diesel Exhaust Odor Species.” SAE Paper 74 0216
- IITRI “Chemical Species in Engine Exhaust and their Contribution to Exhaust Odors.” Report No. C 8150-5 to the Coordinating Research Council
- Spindt R.S. Barnes G.J. Somers J.H. “The Characterization of Odor Components in Diesel Exhaust Gas.” SAE Paper 71 0605
- Savery C.W. Matula R.A. Asmus T. “Progress in Diesel Odor Research.” SAE Paper 74 0213
- Dravnieks A. “Odor Measurement.” Environmental Letters 3 2 81 100 1972
- Kendall D.A. Levins P.L. Leonardos G. “Diesel Exhaust Odor Analysis by Sensory Techniques.” SAE Paper 74 0215
- Turk A. “Selection and Training of Judges for Sensory Evaluation of the Intensity and Character of Diesel Exhaust.” U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare 1967
- Oelert H.H. Florian T. 1972
- Hardenberg H. “Investigations into the Formation and Reduction of Fuel Smoke and Exhaust Gas Odor” Motortechnische Zeitschrift 33 1972 6 248 254
- Hardenberg H. Daudel H. “Results, Problems and Limits of Organoleptic Odor Determination with Commercial Vehicle Engines.” FISITA Congress Budapest 1978 1 323 331
- Hardenberg H. Daudel H. “Investigations into Odor Intensity Determination by Means of Gustatory Tests on Exhaust Gas Penetrated Water.” Motortechnische Zeitschrift 40 1979 1
- Hardenberg H. Daudel H. “Problems and Results of Investigations into Exhaust Gas Odor from Diesel Engines and Its Odorants.” OECD Symposium “Heavy Freight Vehicles and Their Effects” Paris 1977 3 11 25
- Applied Science Laboratories Inc. Pennsylvania Technical Bulletin No. 24, “TENAX GC”
- Kaiser R. “Separation Cassettes in Gas Chromatography” Institut für Chromatographie Bad Dürkheim 1975
- Deans D.R. “New Technique for Heart Cutting in Gas Chromatography.” Chromatographia 1968 1 18 22
- Ettre L.S. “The Kovats Retention Index System” Anal. Chem. 36 1964
- McReynolds W.O. “Gas Chromatographic Retention.” Preston Technical Abstracts Company Evanston, Illinois 1966
- Kaiser R. “Gas-Phase Chromatography.” Bibliographisches Institut Mannheim 1969
- Stenhagen E. Abrahamson S. McLafferty F.W. “Registry of Mass Spectral Data.” J. Wiley & Sons London 1974
- Cornu A. Massot R. “Compilation of Mass Spectral Data.” Heyden & Son London 1966
- “Eight Peak Index of Mass Spectra.” Mass Spectrometry Data Center Aldermaston 1974